Gibson Brands Forums

Is this pickup a real P57 Classic or an imitation - NEW PICS ADDED!

Olafd

NEW PICTURES ADDED, SEE END OF THREAD!

Someone offered me a P57 Classic Gold but apart of the fact that it looks like a Gibson P57, I have no confirmation for the authenticity of this pickup. If there has ever been any sticker or label on the back it's removed now. At least the screw threads are seem to be US made. Is there any way to prove the originality of this part? p57.jpg

Thanks for help

Olaf

Did you take pictures of the PU's top, too?

From the wire length left, I think it was previously mounted in the bridge position, and in case the 8.4 kOhms DC resistance is correct, it would rather be a '57 Classic Plus than a '57 Classic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Open it up and submit more pics. It already looks like it has been open once already, one more time shouldn't hurt.

I'm thinking no.... I have five LP. With Patent Number Stickers (1969 LP Deluxe GT, a 1970 BB Custom, a 1972 LP Deluxe GT- a 2006 LPBB 57 Reissue, and a 2014 1957 R7 Gold Top); all ten of the pickups have the little black sticker ----BUT... More telling is, that the metal back of the pick up (on all of them) looks like it was sanded down - covering about a 1/5 of the back of PU - with ruff sand paper (400 Grit) in order to Make the the sticker - stick better, then looks like a nitro spray was shot over the sticker to hold it down; The pick you show - although it has no sticker I see no tell tell signs of a sanded prep area where the sticker would go. ????

• 1 year later...

Okay, almost two years later I finally can present pictures from the inside of the PU. For all those who do not remember the start of this thread: I simply want to know if this is a real Gibson Classic P57 PU or not. Unfortunately there is no sticker on the back anymore. The Pickup has 8.4 kOhms DC resistance. What do you experts say?

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

Archived