Gibson Brands Forums

There are 3 Hard to Find EF500's on Ebay Now

CharmedOne

If anyone is interested, there are 3 really nice EF500's for sale on ebay. I almost bought the the EF500M because it has an LR Baggs pick up already installed, but I just bought a AJ500RC from GC. Hopefully the AJ500RC arrives safely and is in the condition the sales clerk says it is. GC sent me a diiferent guitar than what was pictured on the website the last time. Fingers crossed. ~CO

If anyone is interested, there are 3 really nice EF500's for sale on ebay. I almost bought the the EF500M because it has an LR Baggs pick up already installed, but I just bought a AJ500RC from GC. Hopefully the AJ500RC arrives safely and is in the condition the sales clerk says it is. GC sent me a diiferent guitar than what was pictured on the website the last time. Fingers crossed. ~CO

Appreciate the heads up. As you know, I picked up the PNS, which, as you say, are really hard to find. I don't know if these maple wood guitars ever went into regular EF-500 production. I'm still waiting for delivery.

That EF-500RAVS is also rarely on the market - moreso than the MNS. Interestingly, that seller kept reducing the buy-it-now price daily - from $1099 down to $675 in six days. Then he must have sold it locally, as the auction ended and it became unavailable.

I've got an RA and an MNS. So far, it's kind of a toss-up, but I'm leaning toward the EF-500MNS, which is a super guitar. I took it in to my tech yesterday to tighten the truss rod and trim the nut grooves a bit. This guitar's body really vibrates - tone and overtones keep emanating from it even after the strings are damped. It's like there's a ghost in the guitar. :unsure:

[biggrin]

That's good to know. I will definitely keep my eye out for one now. I can't wait until you get your EF500PNS, then you can let us know which one you prefer the most. I really love the look of the EF500PNS. It looks like a real gem. The RAVS that was on ebay was nice too but I prefer the look of natural wood. I also love the chunky neck on the EF500s. I just bought a AJ500RC 12 Fret which also has a chunky V neck, used from GC. It comes with the masterbilt case, so I'm glad I don't have to buy one for it. I'm sure it would have sold quickly, if they had listed it correctly but they listed it as an AJ500E. Not sure what the E is for yet. I should get it on Monday. It has a few small scratches but I can live with that. Especially if it sounds as good as they say.

Oh and BTW, I was reading some old threads and noticed you were interested in an EF500RA on ebay but missed it. Well I was the one that won it :) It was in pretty good shape except for a small chunk missing from the binding near the third fret and the overwhelming cigarette smell. I think you got a much better deal because you got a pretty nice case with yours. Is it the 000 SKB case? Your guitar fits in it so perfectly, I'd love to get one of those cases.

As for the RA, I had it restrung with some Martin SP Lifespan Lights and it sound amazing. What strings are you using on your EF500s? I think I may try the extra lights next because since it's been restrung, there is a tiny bit of bulge just below the E and A strings. ~CO

I can't wait until you get your EF500PNS, then you can let us know which one you prefer the most. I really love the look of the EF500PNS. It looks like a real gem.

Oh, I know. I gave that about 2 minutes thought and sprung for it. That seller gave a good story about how this guitar came to be made. Sounds like it's basically never been played. Maple is about the same density as mahogany, so we'll see....

I also love the chunky neck on the EF500s.

I'm still pretty much a guitar newbie. EF necks seem pretty slim to me, but what do I know. I'm actually a lifetime keyboard player. Well, mostly amateur, though I played in a group with Brian Ray a looooong time ago. (He now tours with McCartney.) I also played acoustics a looooong time ago and didn't know jack about them, including that a setup could work wonders. #-o

I just bought a AJ500RC 12 Fret which also has a chunky V neck, used from GC. It comes with the masterbilt case, so I'm glad I don't have to buy one for it. I'm sure it would have sold quickly, if they had listed it correctly but they listed it as an AJ500E. Not sure what the E is for yet.

These fancy Masterbilt cases are a trip. I'll be getting my first one with the PNS.

Oh and BTW, I was reading some old threads and noticed you were interested in an EF500RA on ebay but missed it. Well I was the one that won it :)

Haha! Man I was so pissed at myself for missing that auction! I was going to bid high, too. I never take naps, but I was so exhausted, I was just going to lay down for a minute. Next thing I know... [expletive deleted]. Glad you got it, and a lot cheaper than mine ran me. All that abalone is really eye-catching. I promptly scoured the country for one of these rarely available guitars and got lucky with a craigslister up in Alaska who agreed to put his up on ebay. I paid too much for it, but hey, they say you only live once. I expect they're right. I was double lucky that the thing is pristine. It's a 4-latch SKB case. I guess it's a 000. The EF barely fits in it. Really tight. I guess that's good.

As for the RA, I had it restrung with some Martin SP Lifespan Lights and it sound amazing. What strings are you using on your EF500s? I think I may try the extra lights next because since it's been restrung, there is a tiny bit of bulge just below the E and A strings.

I tried some 11-52 80/20 bronze Earthwoods. I'm no strings connoisseur. These acoustic 11s sure don't bend as easily as electric 11s. I was going to go to 10s, but my tech about had a fit - said they've got to be 12s unless you're, like, a paraplegic. So, OK, he guilted me into trying the 12s. Phosphor bronze. I'm sure they'll ring out louder and clearer. The tech buys bulk. I don't even know what brand they are.

Keep pickin' and grinnin'!

There was an EF 500 RA on CL in Austin last time I checked. $450. Just an FYI.

Yeah, there are some out there. That's about as good a price as you're going to get. With case, I assume. Long-distance craigslist deals are a bit of a hassle, though. I'm not sending my money first, and the seller isn't sending the guitar first. How do you even work that deal without going through ebay, which takes a whopping 10% from the seller? I thought: an internet "escrow" company to hold funds until the package arrives - a multibillion dollar idea! I'm going to be a multibillionaire! Except they're already out there, of course. They're expensive too.

Thanks for all the info. Epiphone recommends 12-52 so you are perfect with those. The Martin lights are 12-54s, which I why I was worried about the thicker strings. But trust me I know how folks can get about the string gauge lol. I hate to take these martins off because they sound so great, but I don't want the bridge to lift up. I'm gonna watch it and see.

I had to go back and look at that PNS, man is it nice! I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled now. I have been trying not to buy anymore guitars but boy is it difficult. I also have a Epi Dove CH that I have been telling myself I don't need. Every time I go by my local shop, I try not to looks at it. I made the mistake of playing it and OMG! It sounds like butter! It's a 2005 and looks brand new and it has a pick up in it. But ..LOL. I do have a birthday coming up in a week or so. \:D/ Looking forward to seeing your newest acquisition ~CO

I don't know how to highlight others post I'm new to forums but Nyghthawk that is pretty far to travel. Maybe another one will come around on ebay soon. I have never actually made a purchase using Craigslist. I tried and then the seller raised the price, so I have absolutely no faith in Craigslist. Maybe you can do like Cougar did and ask them to list it on ebay. Offer to cover their 10% lose to fees, for some added piece of mind and protection maybe? Idk, just a thought. ~CO

Yeah, there are some out there. That's about as good a price as you're going to get. With case, I assume. Long-distance craigslist deals are a bit of a hassle, though. I'm not sending my money first, and the seller isn't sending the guitar first. How do you even work that deal without going through ebay, which takes a whopping 10% from the seller?

This is interesting...I found a guitar in Austin Tx Craigs I wanted (I'm in Ohio)..I contacted the seller, asked if he would ship, he says yes, I paypal him the funds, he ships when he sees the $$ is in his account (the same day). The guitar was near mint just as he advertised, both parties happy.

Risky? I guess so, but it worked out....

This is interesting...I found a guitar in Austin Tx Craigs I wanted (I'm in Ohio)..I contacted the seller, asked if he would ship, he says yes, I paypal him the funds, he ships when he sees the $ is in his account (the same day). The guitar was near mint just as he advertised, both parties happy.

Risky? I guess so, but it worked out....

Wow, that's great. I guess there's a way to withdraw or put on hold a payment through paypal. Had it done to me once, in fact, when I didn't indicate on ebay I'd shipped the item right away. The guy reinstated the money when he received the item. I think members of the guitar-playing brother- and sisterhood are pretty trustworthy.... [rolleyes]

:)

• 2 months later...
I just bought a AJ500RC 12 Fret which also has a chunky V neck, used from GC.... I'm sure it would have sold quickly, if they had listed it correctly but they listed it as an AJ500E. Not sure what the E is for yet.

Man, that was a lucky find. From my searching, used RC's for sale are nonexistent. I'd love an AJ with a 1.75" nut.

Coincidentally, I'm currently looking at a 2006 AJ500E, which is listed as an ME, but the label just says AJ500E NS. There is nearly nothing on the web about these. Made at the Grand Rewards factory...

Man, that was a lucky find. From my searching, used RC's for sale are nonexistent. I'd love an AJ with a 1.75" nut.

Coincidentally, I'm currently looking at a 2006 AJ500E, which is listed as an ME, but the label just says AJ500E NS. There is nearly nothing on the web about these. Made at the Grand Rewards factory...

Cougar... I can testify to the quality of the Grand Rewards factory (Farida Plant) quality. They produced some of the very best Masterbilts and their own brand are also very nice.

I've corresponded with the seller about this AJ. The label does say AJ500E, which I figured, like the "ME", would have the eSonic2 system, but the seller just said the guitar was acoustic only. At the same time, she ended the auction "because there was an error in the listing." Indeed, Lucille, it looks like a very nice AJ. But the seller is "selling it for my boyfriend" and has a zero feedback rating. I'm very wary in such circumstances....

I've corresponded with the seller about this AJ. The label does say AJ500E, which I figured, like the "ME", would have the eSonic2 system, but the seller just said the guitar was acoustic only. At the same time, she ended the auction "because there was an error in the listing." Indeed, Lucille, it looks like a very nice AJ. But the seller is "selling it for my boyfriend" and has a zero feedback rating. I'm very wary in such circumstances....

In that case Coug... you very well should have been hesitant and wary. I know I would have been no matter how nice the instrument looked

I sure would like to get my hands on one of those EF-500P we've seen floating around here and there.

What do you mean? There are only two in existence!

Just kidding. But I only know of that other one that I-forget-his-name picked up, also out of Nashville, IIRC. I'd love to see you get one! They are super soundful players.

Well, that was a comedy of errors. The seller had sent me a small-ish photo of the label. Since it was listed as an ME(NS), I misread the label as an AJ500E. Then it was relisted with a larger label photo showing it's really an AJ500R. (I swear, the R looked like an E!) There's nothing on the web about an AJ500E because there's no such thing! It is a Grand Rewards-made guitar - I got that right - and probably a pretty good deal (starting at $330). Just not one I'm gassing about....

These fancy Masterbilt cases are a trip. I'll be getting my first one with the PNS.

As I mentioned in some other thread, the Masterbilt cases are really sharp looking, but I much prefer a case with regular latches rather than the case-length zippers. The built-in hygrometer looks like one you can get off ebay for 5 bucks. I also wonder if they hold in the humidity as well as a hardshell case. Just my 2 cents.

Archived