Gibson Brands Forums

Sticky neck on my Gibson Lucille (es 355)

shivalan

I just bought an unplayed 2006 Gibson Lucille. It's in beautiful condition except for the back of the neck, which looks perfect but feels sticky. I've tried cleaning it with various things, e.g. a dilute, mild liquid soap, but it's till the same. If I use a soft cotton cloth on it, it's OK for a couple of minutes, then it feels sticky again.

I've read that some lightly sand the back of their guitar necks but I'd prefer not to do this.

Any thoughts/suggestions please?

I just bought an unplayed 2006 Gibson Lucille. It's in beautiful condition except for the back of the neck, which looks perfect but feels sticky. I've tried cleaning it with various things, e.g. a dilute, mild liquid soap, but it's till the same. If I use a soft cotton cloth on it, it's OK for a couple of minutes, then it feels sticky again.

I've read that some lightly sand the back of their guitar necks but I'd prefer not to do this.

Any thoughts/suggestions please?

It's the styrofoam of the neck rests in Gibson Custom and Gibson USA 2014 cases. Sanding will just remove finish. Breathe on them and wipe with a very soft facial tissue. Put some soft facial tissues folded several times between neck and the neck rests in the cases, and change them very often. It may take years until the styrene will have gone. Two of my Gibson Custom guitars are affected due to their specific cases. None of my 1973 - 2013 Gibson USA guitars had this problem, their cases are free of styrofoam. Thomann's Master Luthier confirmed it's the Custom and USA 2014 cases.

Posted yesterday into another topic about that, wasn't able to find it as well as my browser and the forum search. I would just have linked there.

I have to agree with KidBlast here. I've had dozens of Gibsons in 40 odd years. Sometimes they are sticky, sometimes not, hasn't mattered what kind of case they've been in. In fact, most of mine in my life have been in SKBs. Just play it, it'll stop being sticky pretty soon, depending on how often you play. I've never had it bother me out, wreck a gig, a set, or even a song. Once you get going it doesn't bother you anymore. My current SG is...three years old now, it was sticky for a while at first, but not anymore.

rct

Archived