Gibson Brands Forums

J45 standard - velcro held in by screws

ElChris

Hey guys,

I just joined the forum to share something I found to be quite strange.

Over the last year I've done some minor modifications to my j45 standard, like adding klusons, removing pickguard, colosi saddle, mixing pins etc to kinda "make it my own". Last week when I fitted my saddle from Bob I finally decided to remove the under saddle pickup. I'm not sure why except to say that I never use it plugged in (yet)'and that i want as little stuff as possible (potentially) interfering with the sound. Anyways given how easy it is to fit these guys back in I figured why not and gave it a go.

In the spur of the moment I decided to remove the velcro for the battery pouch (because let's face it, neck blocks are sexy) and it turns out it was held inn by two black screws to the neck block.. I don't have a photo right now but the screws are half way In and angled so it looks quite amateurish. I find the whole thing strange and was just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing with their j45 standards (or other guitar for that matter)? I'm not too torn up about this or anything just baffled as it seems like an odd fix to keep velcro stuck to the wood..

Seems to me angled screws would serve to better hold in the Velcro than perpendicular ones. I wouldn't worry about it, plus the Velcro when affixed by the screws is the manufacturer's intent and covers the screws' angle. It only becomes odd to see them on the angle you describe if the Velcro is removed, not the manufacturer's intent. I don't think the Velcro or the pickup can hurt the gutar's tone as it's not really affixed to the guitar's body to dampen vibration. It's free hanging to the two screws. I doubt the screws hurt the tone either considering where they are stationary placed.

Just my perspective.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Hey ElChris, welcome!

I find that very strange as well. Was the guitar purchased new? I'm not seeing anything like that on my J-35 but must say that I sure am looking forward to removing the Element pickup system, installing a new saddle, and K&K pickup. Like you, I'm not a fan of UST pickups or anything sitting under the saddle...or sound hole volume wheels.

DC

Seems to me angled screws would serve to better hold in the Velcro than perpendicular ones. I wouldn't worry about it, plus the Velcro when affixed by the screws is the manufacturer's intent and covers the screws' angle. It only becomes odd to see them on the angle you describe if the Velcro is removed, not the manufacturer's intent. I don't think the Velcro or the pickup can hurt the gutar's tone as it's not really affixed to the guitar's body to dampen vibration. It's free hanging to the two screws. I doubt the screws hurt the tone either considering where they are stationary placed.

Just my perspective.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Jeff I think you are right in saying that the velcro doesn't affect the tone, but unfortunately for me I was past the point of no return in removing it so I'm stuck with two odd screws in my neck block. Like I said no biggie just found it odd. Ur point about the angle makes sense though I never though of that.

Hey ElChris, welcome!

I find that very strange as well. Was the guitar purchased new? I'm not seeing anything like that on my J-35 but must say that I sure am looking forward to removing the Element pickup system, installing a new saddle, and K&K pickup. Like you, I'm not a fan of UST pickups or anything sitting under the saddle...or sound hole volume wheels.

DC

Thanks DC nice to be here!

I bought the guitar new from a Gibson licensed retailer. Can't see why they would have messed with it so I'm guessing it came like that from the factory. I never really enjoyed playing plugged in when I had an acoustic amp so I figured I would try without all the gizmos inside. However I might fit an K&K or the anthem at some point if I start playing live or want to add some effects. Right now I'll keep it simple though.

Thanks DC nice to be here!

I bought the guitar new from a Gibson licensed retailer. Can't see why they would have messed with it so I'm guessing it came like that from the factory. I never really enjoyed playing plugged in when I had an acoustic amp so I figured I would try without all the gizmos inside. However I might fit an K&K or the anthem at some point if I start playing live or want to add some effects. Right now I'll keep it simple though.

Strange the factory would do something like that, but... you never know.

Keeping it simply acoustic is good. When ready for a pickup, you'll get a lot of input/opinions here. :)

DC

Gibson started putting in the screws when they got tired of sending out new peel and stick velcro replacements as the batteries fell off the block when the glue let go.

I understand you removing the pickup to potentially get more tone, but if you really want a guitar that speaks to the crowd, try a Collings slope shoulder dread instead. Then you don't need to mess around with aftermarket anything, because the guitar is perfect.

ElChris, any problems subbing the Klusons? Direct drop in? Bushings, screws OK?

Cameleye the tuners fit great but the screw holes did not align perfectly so I used a dremmel tool to make the holes in the klusons a tad bit bigger. I can try and get some photos up if you are interested in the final result.

Chris

Gibson started putting in the screws when they got tired of sending out new peel and stick velcro replacements as the batteries fell off the block when the glue let go.

I understand you removing the pickup to potentially get more tone, but if you really want a guitar that speaks to the crowd, try a Collings slope shoulder dread instead. Then you don't need to mess around with aftermarket anything, because the guitar is perfect.

Ballcorner I have kept an eye on the Collings line for quite some time but never had the honor to play one yet. However, tweaking my gear is something I really enjoy so if the Collings is in fact perfect perhaps it is best we never meet? All joking aside though they are on my radar as I hear great things. Regarding the J45 the pickup adds another feature to one of their flagships I get that but for me I sure wish it came without one.

Chris

ElChris, The J45TV comes without a pickup. Of course, it's more expensive - so you took the best route by getting a Standard and taking 5 minutes to remove the bag.

Fortyearspickin the TV is an astonishing guitar but unfortunately the ones I tested at the time of purchase did not really stand out sonically to the standard so I could not justify the price tag. I did find one after my purchase that I liked very much so I know they are out there for sure. The idea behind me purchasing the 45 was to try and find a workhorse that could take some light abuse and go with me on small trips etc so I'm kinda glad I didn't buy a TV at that time because there's no way I would take such a jewel close to anything resembling a boat or a camp fire.

Chris

Hey guys,

I just joined the forum to share something I found to be quite strange.

Over the last year I've done some minor modifications to my j45 standard, like adding klusons, removing pickguard, colosi saddle, mixing pins etc to kinda "make it my own". Last week when I fitted my saddle from Bob I finally decided to remove the under saddle pickup. I'm not sure why except to say that I never use it plugged in (yet)'and that i want as little stuff as possible (potentially) interfering with the sound. Anyways given how easy it is to fit these guys back in I figured why not and gave it a go.

In the spur of the moment I decided to remove the velcro for the battery pouch (because let's face it, neck blocks are sexy) and it turns out it was held inn by two black screws to the neck block.. I don't have a photo right now but the screws are half way In and angled so it looks quite amateurish. I find the whole thing strange and was just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing with their j45 standards (or other guitar for that matter)? I'm not too torn up about this or anything just baffled as it seems like an odd fix to keep velcro stuck to the wood..

I remember flying with my old J-45 standard to the USA for my 1st Kaufman Kamp & on arrival found the velcro on the battery holder had dislodged (due to heat/humidity?), so the whole thing was banging around inside the guitar. Luckily no serious damage & I removed it for the trip. On my return home I visited my local guitar tech who advised putting a couple of small screws in to hold it more securely. I followed his advise & never had another issue.

Archived