Gibson Brands Forums

New Fern

Dave F

Wow! Congrats! That is gorgeous [thumbup] ...I love Gibson mandolins but have never been able to fully justify buying one myself as I am primarily a guitarist, thus all my funds go on geetars. That beauty puts my old Epi MM30 mandolin to shame!! I want one!

• 11 months later...

Just looking at your photos makes my heart go bumpity-bump. Absolutely gorgeous, Dave. And since you're in the heart of bluegrass country, I have a sneaking suspicion you're already a dang good player - probably born that way. Congratulations!

Ordered this back in January. Just came today. Now I have to learn how to play it.

f5l1_zpsee061782.jpg

f5l7_zpse7d9eb92.jpg

f5l2_zpsad5b24a8.jpg

Really nice.

I bought a Gibson F5-G back in late May.

I was expecting a nice flame back like on your Fern, but it's kind of weird.

I'd up load the pics, but I think I shot my wade on photos at this forum today.

anyway I was think of sending it back. It's signed by Dave Harvey and the thing sounded so nice I kept it.

Very nice looking. I think I like the flower pot inlaid better than the fern

I like the plainer look of the F5G myself.

The back on mine wasn't what I was expecting, but as I looked at it more and more, I must say it's unique. I could probably line up ever F5G made this year and pick mine out of the pack.

Sound wise it's really good. I compared it to a few Webers and even my friends Weber. It blows his Bitterroot Weber away in spade.

It was kind of a lot of money for a second rate mandolin player. I only have one other mandolin that I purchased way way back. It's a Flatiron A model Performer, with a very nice flame back.

I [post a pic of that later.

• 3 months later...

Ordered this back in January. Just came today. Now I have to learn how to play it.

It's absolutely gorgeous, top of the line, but did you really buy a $9,000 mandolin to "learn how to play" it?

I'd get me an $800 Eastman, then put the Fern in the case and never touch it again until I made all my mistakes and earned my dues on the cheapie, is what I'd do.

It's absolutely gorgeous, top of the line, but did you really buy a $9,000 mandolin to "learn how to play" it?

I'd get me an $800 Eastman, then put the Fern in the case and never touch it again until I made all my mistakes and earned my dues on the cheapie, is what I'd do.

Thanks for the comments.

This was my 5th mandolin so I already paid my dues on the other ones.

Since I've had this I'm ready to unload the others except one that was handmade by my best friends dad. There is no comparison.

This one is getting played and not setting in the case.

I got this one for $5600 which is still a lot of money and I'm sure I may had found a comparable one for less, but I didn't.

As with a few other instruments, I've found that if I don't get what I want I just go through a lot other ones until I finally get it and it winds up costing me more in the long run. Part of my addiction I suppose.

[/quote

What a foolish idea! Not playing a good instrument because you don't think you are good enough is a terrible idea. Instruments need to be played, not sit in a case. It's not like playing an instrument badly will hurt it. If you wait until you've made all your mistakes, you wait forever. Besides, you don't "earn" dues, you "pay" them. Your thinking is ALL backwards.

Beautiful F5 Fern... Now you got me wanting one..

that F5g looks sweet too...

here Im stuck with mine...

:rolleyes:

th_DSC02004_zpspbzflf0a.jpgth_DSC02086_zpsavu9y028.jpg

th_DSC02006_zpst0vdn23e.jpg

I would like to be stuck with that one. Very nice Mandolin for sure...

Steve

Archived