Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone AJ 220s

slk

Are these guitars good quality? I want to get my son his own guitar and these look really nice. I played one in GC and it sounded good. I see they have some bad reviews and just wanted to check here to see if anyone have one they like or dislike

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

I had the old model (AJ200) a few years ago (dropped it and busted the neck) and absolutely loved it. After a couple of years playing it opened up beautifully. Bang for buck I don't think there's a better guitar out there. I played one in a local shop (I'm in Belfast) the other day and fell in love with it again. Very rich tone for such a cheap guitar.

Dodger

I've had one for over a year and have been very happy with it. Fit and finish on mine is outstanding, better than some much higher end instruments I've seen. Also been very happy with the playability and sound.

I had both the AJ220S and a Yamaha FG700, and sold the Yamaha because I preferred the Epi.

My son has one that he wasn't pleased with and wanted to trade out. He put some elixir 80/20s on it and now he loves it. GC sent me an older model, the AJ200 by mistake and I gotta tell you it's sounded pretty darn good. I considered keeping it but it was the wrong guitar, so I sent it back but boy was it a nice looking guitar in natural finish. My sons is the burst btw. ~CO

Hi. I own an AJ220sce and the AJ220S. I am very happy with them both.. The sound is crisp and clean leaning toward the bright end with Elixir nanoweb 80/20 lights. I cherry picked them both at my local GC store and was amazed at the fine sound and build and action on them. There have been, however, many multiple reports of twisted and warping necks on the 220 series, particularly if it has not been properly humidified. Humidification on solid wood guitars is critical. If you find one at GC that you like...have them check the neck for warpage first before buying it....and remember that it can be returned without questions at GC within 30 days if something goes wrong. ...One of the many reasons I just love GC. How can you go wrong? Good luck!

My cutaway fits a regular dred case well.

The 220 isn't a "great guitar" in the sense of a super handmade, but it's great for what it is: A nice looking, nice sounding guitar that doesn't break the bank.

If you like the Epi neck - and I do - it's fine. I'd prefer the shorter scale. But for roughly $400 with a hard case it's awfully hard to beat the AE cutaway I have.

I'm sure there are pickles among the output,

..... but the comment about son disliking the instrument until different strings were installed makes a great point.

Usually IMHO loving or not caring for a guitar often is a matter of strings and setup for how a given picker plays. Sometimes also how the player holds the instrument - and certainly how his physical and playing geometry "fit" a guitar. But the strings and setup seem to be a prime "thing" for a lotta folks who decided they wanted a given sort of guitar regardless.

m

Archived