Gibson Brands Forums

Shiny new nut

Ryan H

The old nut on my '64 Melody Maker was just about done (high E and B strings practically resting on the first fret), so I brought in a bone blank to my guitar tech and in 2 days (with a hand injury no less!) I had my guitar back with a shiny new bone nut. He even bothered to polish it to 1000 grit. And the price...well let's just say these guys take care of me ;)

Did an absolutely stunning job...

oqr2sB2.png

What's your preference for nut material? Bone? Tusq? Brass? Something else?

-Ryan

To be perfectly honest I don't really mind. I seriously doubt I could notice any difference in a blind-back-to-back test situation in any case.

I've had bone, plastic, brass and if Gibson were using Corian in the early-mid '90s than that, too.

I replaced the stock nut in my old '64 Strat after the original snapped(!) with a bone one (did it myself; it was a surprisingly satisfying exercise) and it sounded pretty much the same before-and-after to my ears.

The only one I didn't like was the brass nut although that might very well have been purely a psychological response. Almost certainly was.

It was an odd, hybrid nut where the main bulk was dense plastic but the trailing 2mm (i.e. 'board-end) or so was brass. Can't for the life of me remember which guitar had it. Long gone.

My 1940's G-J f-hole arch-top has a zero-fret and I have to say it sounds just fine with that set-up too.

FWIW the bone nut was a delight to work on. Perhaps plastic would be less 'clean' to work? IDK.

P.

Another area of my ignorance...

I have no preference and have never changed nor had one changed on any of my guitars ever...

I'll cross that bridge when the need arises...

To be perfectly honest I don't really mind. I seriously doubt I could notice any difference in a blind-back-to-back test situation in any case.

I've never changed a nut to improve the tone of the instrument. The nut only really affects the open strings, since once you start fretting notes, the frets take over.

In this case it was maintenance. The previous plastic nut that Gibson put on it back in '64 was beyond repairing. We had tried the old "bone dust and super glue in the slots" trick, and it only lasted a few weeks at best. I was looking for a material that would last a long time, and bone seemed like the obvious choice.

One thing I will say though...despite the fact that I wasn't Looking for a tonal change, there was a subtle one. The open strings and fretted notes are much more balanced in volume (I attribute this to the higher density of the bone compared to plastic), and the strings themselves are more even in volume to eachother. Acoustically, the guitar is slightly louder (higher density = more efficient energy transfer).

Just my experiences.

Melody Maker's gonna need some fretwork soon...lots of little dips causing some buzzing...

-Ryan

I quite like the graphite Tusq nuts... They are self lubricating (or more to the point graphite has a very slippery surface texture).

BUT in saying that im not sure it makes all that much difference as long as they are cut properly and sit in the slot properly...

But that does look like some nice work done there, which is just a nice touch to have on your guitar [thumbup]

I have a nice blank bone nut waiting for the right project to come along ;)

Those are interesting observation, Ryan, and I can see why the explanations you give make sense.

I had forgotten that the nut on my '91 1960 Classic was swapped-out for a bone one (by a proper person!) but as the original was useless - the slots were cut too deep for three of the strings(!) - any meaningful comparison was impossible.

I don't envisage the need for any more swaps as far as the LPs go but my cheap-as-chips Squier Tele DOES need a new nut as the G string can slip out due to a poorly-finished (curve-sided) slot. When I finally get around to doing it I really should try to make an effort to see if I can notice a difference.

P.

I rather hold on to my factory stock nuts, as long as possible. :D

Same here, with an emphasized "if possible". Sometimes not even from the start.

Just a regular old Allparts bleached cow bone nut blank.

-Ryan

This one is bleached? [confused] The bleached bone nuts on my axes are virtually white, and the unbleached ones look like the one you pictured.

Same here, with an emphasized "if possible". Sometimes not even from the start.

This one is bleached? [confused] The bleached bone nuts on my axes are virtually white, and the unbleached ones look like the one you pictured.

I noticed that only the outer layer of these Allparts blanks are white. If you look at the blank from the end, the core of the blank is yellowish, which means it's unbleached. In cutting the nut, the bleached exterior was sanded/filed off, leaving unbleached bone.

-Ryan

Like Rabs I have been impressed with Tusq nuts, especially the XL which is self-lubricating. Perfectly cut/molded and easy install all for under $10 USD.

When I bought my R8 a few years ago I thought the nylon nut had to go in favor of a bone nut but the nylon nut is perfect.

I have a MIJ Fender Contemporary Series III Strat which I bought new in the 80s. Great guitar except for the side-to-side locking nut. I broke one, got another while they still did spares, then got a guitar tech at Anderton's to fit a Graphtech nut but do it so I could replace the original if wanted. The Graphtech nut (same as Tusq) has made the guitar much, much better.

SystemIIInutApr10_zps6bef101d.jpg

I'm in the "I don't care about my nuts" camp.

I have never never changed one in favor of another. Doubt I ever will. Unless of course it's done.

Other than a little pencil lead(learned on this site thank you very much) I have

never paid my nuts any attention. Now that I think about it,, neither has my wife.. :-k

I'm in the "I don't care about my nuts" camp.

I have never never changed one in favor of another. Doubt I ever will. Unless of course it's done.

In case they fouled up string spacing or grooving at the factory, I have them replaced. As intended, it always improved the open string tone and fretting at the lower frets.

I quite like the graphite Tusq nuts... They are self lubricating (or more to the point graphite has a very slippery surface texture).

BUT in saying that im not sure it makes all that much difference as long as they are cut properly and sit in the slot properly...

But that does look like some nice work done there, which is just a nice touch to have on your guitar [thumbup]

I have a nice blank bone nut waiting for the right project to come along ;)

Here is a picture of the Graphtech Tusq XL nut that I just put on to replace the corian nut on my Les Paul.

For a Les Paul nut; do you guys remember which model from GraphTech you got? I've found one (pq-6010-00) that say it's for Gibson guitars, but the specs say it's 44mm - a bit too wide for a Gibbo? I'm going for some string savers and TUSQ nuts on both of mine, soon.

Archived