Gibson Brands Forums

strings for an EJ200CE

vkh

Hi all,

I'm looking for string recommendations for my guitar. I tried a set of Ernie Ball earthwood 11's, they're OK but I'd like a heavier set. I could get a set of 12's or even 13's but wonder what others are using.

Thanks!

I agree with CharmedOne, I also use Elixir's on my guitars...nanoweb...either 80/20's or PB, both are good. They cost more, because they actually DO last 5 to 10 times longer than any other sting in the world. They will save you big bucks, and lots of string changes! The 80/20's are bright at first, then break in to a nice even tone after a few hours of play time, the PB''s are a bit darker in tone. The nanoweb version of Elixir seems to the most popular. ....as you play them in, coating wear does NOT affect tone..just keep playing till they are dead...and that will generally be pretty long! Good luck!

For mine, I use D'Addario Custom Light PB 11-52. For me, warm & bright, great ring and when they wear out I just replace them. I do use a GHS string cleaner cloth after every playing and wash hands first. I don't really change them much more than 4x per year. But I am trying to keep all the gits in a rotation and have several acoustics to exercise. They are cheap when you purchase the strings in 10 packs from Strings & Beyond so I don't sweat that much anymore. I'm not playing a single guitar all the time or in any pro setting so that may make a difference to your choices.

Aster

I asked Epiphone and they told me that the EJ 200 ce's come from the factory with Gibson Masterbuilt 12's. And I think they sound fine.

However, I changed all my EJ200's to Elixer 11's. A little easier on my fingers, sounds great, lasts a LONG time and they sound good thru my Fishman amp. And, at 1 1/2times the cost of your strings, they will last at least 3 times as long! Or so.

Let us know how those strings workout for you!

• 2 weeks later...

String gauge choice is a personal thing and related to music styles etc IMO...

I've been down the 'heavy' route in the past...up to 14-60... :blink:

Spending some time at 13-56...suffering from constant skin peeling at the finger tips

I have one guitar with 12-54, one with 11-50...

Most currently with 10-46 and one with 9-42

Being a keen 12 stringer I've got used to 9's thereon and 10's on 6 strings...

Enjoy... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Ernie Ball has the new aluminum bronze and they developed by some amazing guitarist you could try those but when it comes right to it you have to try a bunch and see what you like. This is always a interesting topic everyone has there own taste. Martin Medium lights Elixer lights or medium lights PB in my opinion sound the best.

I'm using Elixir Polyweb Lights (.12 - .53). It came to me with D'Addario Lights (.12 - 52). Mine was refurbished and they replaced the nut. I am not sure if the original strings were the D'Addario's or not. I like the Elixir's better.

I'm now an Elixir convert!!! [thumbup]

Archived