Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson of the Week #6 - ES 137, 140, 175, 195 ,295

'Scales

Hi all. Here's the next in a series of threads like this each week on a random Gibson electric model (outside of LPs and SGs that are already covered very well) and simply invite comments, photos, videos, information, memories of past ownership, or whatever you like quite frankly...

The main intent is simply to put a spotlight on some great guitars that many of us might not know much about or have had a lot to do with.

This week - the electric spanish models outside of the 335 shape (which I'll cover on another week soon) - I don't claim for one moment to know the difference between any of these and have never played any of them - so looking forward to learning from anyone who has - and if I've missed any feel free to comment on them to. Over to you...

I don't know if it counts but this is an ES-125TC(D) that I played last year in a shop here in Nashville. It's been a long time since a guitar impressed me as much as this one did. It wont be for a while but I bet I add one of these to me stable before too long.

8343904F-3FB8-436D-ABB1-DDA9B3DE68F1_zpsek5epybc.jpg

Escuse me.

I think I might have something to contribute to this conversation.

Searcy,

what a cool guitar.

Heritage sells a similar H525 model.

Love me some hollow body electric guitar.

Snapshot2009-01-1508-39-38.jpg

That's a classic.

Does my Chet count?

76E46FCD-6848-4AEF-9081-7489CC762F8D_zpsfwoibdqa.jpg

That's a classic.

Does my Chet count?

76E46FCD-6848-4AEF-9081-7489CC762F8D_zpsfwoibdqa.jpg

Love that Chet...is that some modifications to the switches/ wiring you have done? I saw a Chet second hand a while ago which was quite battered but it was going for a great price, sadly I missed out on that one, but it is still on my list of guitars to own in some distant future

I don't know if it counts but this is an ES-125TC(D) that I played last year in a shop here in Nashville. It's been a long time since a guitar impressed me as much as this one did. It wont be for a while but I bet I add one of these to me stable before too long.

8343904F-3FB8-436D-ABB1-DDA9B3DE68F1_zpsek5epybc.jpg

I was gonna say - what about the ES-125/Sorrento? I've got a '66 TDC. Great guitar, very basic (no fretboard binding, dogear P90s, trapeze tailpiece, dot inlays, single-ply bendy truss rod cover), no nonsense, good angry loud rock sound. You can heap on as much distortion as you like, it still cuts right through just about any mix. The sunburst has faded to the point where it no longer looks tacky. The previous owner replaced the ABR-1 with a Nashville (good decision) and the cheapo 3-on-a-plate Klusons with rotomatics (also a good decision). Worth every penny of the $2000 I paid for it. I wish Gibson would bring them back, so I could get 'em cheaper, they stopped making them in 1970.

One small detail that guitar websites are unclear about: it's TDC, not TCD. Or so the stamp in my f-hole says!

Love that Chet...is that some modifications to the switches/ wiring you have done? I saw a Chet second hand a while ago which was quite battered but it was going for a great price, sadly I missed out on that one, but it is still on my list of guitars to own in some distant future

Thanks. That's a 1989 Chet Atkins country gentleman. It's completely stock. I stuck some gold reflector knobs on it at one point to see what I thought of them but I ended up switching them back to the black speed knobs. That's the closest thing to a modification this guitar is ever seen.

Here's a couple of mine...I love them both and am very lucky to own such beautiful instruments.

The ES5 is one of the most versatile guitars I have ever played and even though it is easy to end up always playing jazz on it, it also is capable of some lovely bright tones more suited to country and other styles. The best thing about the wiring options is being able to blend the sound to your own desired settings in such an accurate way. I imagine 345 owners have a similar thing to this with the Varitone. The guitar has a lovely, big warm sound.

My ES 175 is one of my favourites to play. I was raised playing classical guitars and Les Pauls and somehow this guitar seems to suit my preferences by being somewhere in-between a Les Paul and a Classical in regard to the neck profile. Quite simply this guitar has the nicest neck profile I have ever played; having said that I would love to try a vintage 175 to compare. As with the ES5, I adore the tone of this one and I seem to play it more than most of my other guitars.

As much as I love Les Pauls and SG's, there is something very special about the classic Gibson archtops. I would encourage any player to try one if they get a chance and you'll see why [smile]

ESs3_zpsb499183b.jpg

Archived