Gibson Brands Forums

Mesa Boogie Cab Clone

BobF_

Oh snap, I am going to have to try one of those. Mesa makes great stuff.

I have a Crate Axe Box (well I have two actually), which is discontinued now. Similar concept but this device connects to the effect loop and allows for a CD input and has a simulated speaker out/headphones, it works great but it did not achieve success because it plugs in the effects loop and usually that means the tone stack and reverb if any does not work...that never bothered me because you can use pedals along with it.

3719-1s.jpg

This thing looks good on paper to me. I either mic my Bugera (and wear hearing protection) or I don't record it. My Blackstar has a DI out but it is taken at the pre (operates in standby) and there is no level control.

I had been planning to try out an H&K TM18 to replace both amps, but this CabClone might be a better alternative. Then I could start collecting tube amps! :)

Considering that it costs you'd spend that kind of money on any non-entry level microphone.

I have a 5 watt Randall head that has a direct out and recording silently is really convenient, I just need to swap the stock Ruby tubes on it for a better sound.

I am not a Mesa fan, think everything they make is over engineered, but this looks brilliant. $300 isn't an unreasonable price and I would consider one of these if I ever had to do all of my playing/recording at home.

I'm going to get mesa one of these things. I had been going to get a Red Box but one of these would team up better with my Maverick I think.

The thing I like about this box is that it is also a load. I've looked at Red Box, but it still requires speakers. My Blackstar has a DO, but it's at the preamp so know real power stage involvement. It sounds pretty good, but ... :)

I've been looking at H&K TM18s - No independent level control?! WTF?

I'm planning to try the CabClone first though. I like the idea of being able to use it with *any* amp (100W and less).

Been waiting for some feedback from Real People out in cyberspace. Heard a few on utoob. Been thinking though. The load in the CabClone is purely resistive, so other than the level knob and marginal headphone jack, why not an H&K Red Box with a dummy load?

Red Box 5 has a track record, run $99 every day and I already have a 100W wirewound load set up.

Hmmmm ...

There are a couple of reviews on Sweetwater.com, did you read those?

Mesa makes solid products, my main amp is a Mesa 5:25 Express and that thing is very well design and every feature is useable.

Yep. I also read the Red Box 5 reviews at sweetwater. H&K has a pretty solid rep too.

For 2 bills, the CabClone gives you a level knob, a resistive load and a headphone out. The headphone out is getting bad reviews and in my setup headphones could be plugged elsewhere anyway. ((I hate headphones))

Seriously, I can't see what this box does over a Red Box + load.

Well, like everything else you may not want to pay for options you don't use.

The bad headphone review though, the guy was dissapointed that he had to crank the amp to 11 o'clock? I mean, that is the point of this thing that you can crank up the amp without suffering. The headphone output would be completely useless if it was too loud by the time you get the amp to 9 o'clock volume wise, especially in a non-master volume amp.

I prefer to not use headphones either but I bet I would use the headphones and line out features of the Mesa unit if I had one. Looking at the Red Box I'd be affraid I'd be missing the features that the Mesa unit has.

Again though, if you can cover your needs with the Red Box you should go for that.

I see the Red Box needs power?

Well, like everything else you may not want to pay for options you don't use.

The bad headphone review though, the guy was dissapointed that he had to crank the amp to 11 o'clock? I mean, that is the point of this thing that you can crank up the amp without suffering. The headphone output would be completely useless if it was too loud by the time you get the amp to 9 o'clock volume wise, especially in a non-master volume amp.

I prefer to not use headphones either but I bet I would use the headphones and line out features of the Mesa unit if I had one. Looking at the Red Box I'd be affraid I'd be missing the features that the Mesa unit has.

Again though, if you can cover your needs with the Red Box you should go for that.

I see the Red Box needs power?

Yes, RB5 needs either phantom power, battery, or ext power.

I have an example of what I'm wanting to do already with my HT5 head. It has a speaker emulated output that is really quite convincing. The down side is that it's taken at the output of the preamp instead the speaker out. So basically, you play the amp in standby mode.

I have this running to a pair (it's a stereo out for the reverb) on my interface. From there I can go headphones (rare) or to my monitors. Sounds pretty good. In fact, the only reason I'm looking for a CabClone/Red Box type of box is so I can do the same with my V22. The V22 is a sweet amp for clean to mild crunchy, but micing up make it's hard to be in the same room with it - and that's with a condenser. The result is awesome, but it's too loud and I'm back to tracking with headphones.

So the goal is to ditch headphones and record any amp without speakers being req'd.

I still haven't ruled out an H&K TM18 to replace my HT5 & V22. That would give me a single amp with Red Box already built in.

I like the idea of having either a CabClone or Red Box + load as separate units though. If it works well, then all constraints are removed when it comes to amp selection.

Toyz ... I love 'em. Sometimes I think I enjoy the process of researching and combing thru possibilities as much as I enjoy the end result. It's a sickness :)

In my searching around, I found a vid of an A/B between the e609 and the Clone. In that instance, the e609 sounded VERY wooly compared to the Clone.

I'm still wide open on this. I could talk myself into any the options. Maybe I'll have them all before I'm done :)

It seems to me that the CabClone does offer one possibly significant advantage over the H&K Red Box and that is the choice of multiple speaker cabinet options. I think (maybe wrong here) that the Red Box just offers a 4x12 cabinet.

The way I read the CabClone description is that it is all 4x12 with different speaker options.

The Red Box offers 3 independently selectable options; tight/loose, modern/vintage and large/small. Hard to say how the various combination will differ in practice though.

Archived