Gibson Brands Forums

Why Different Upper Strap Button Positions?

capmaster

Although I researched on the web, I wasn't able to find any answer to this question.

The upper strap button on Gibson USA Les Paul guitars is located farther from the neck than it is on Gibson Custom and Epiphone LPs.

Does anybody have any clues or infos why?

Although I researched on the web, I wasn't able to find any answer to this question.

The upper strap button on Gibson USA Les Paul guitars is located farther from the neck than it is on Gibson Custom and Epiphone LPs.

Does anybody have any clues or infos why?

How much of a difference are we talking about?

How much of a difference are we talking about?

Perpendicular measurement from bass-sided neck heel edge to button center:

- Gibson USA LPs (one made in 2011, 2012, and 2013 each): 58 mm or circa 2.28"

- Gibson Custom LPs (two, either made in 2012): 36 mm or circa 1.42"

- Epiphone LP (one, made in PRC in 2013): 30 mm or circa 1.18"

My neck straps allow for length adjustment in steps which are pretty coarse. As a consequence, playing these guitars feels a bit different due to their different heights, not bad, but clearly noticeable.

Excruciating minutiae.

It's always more or less in the same area. Do we need a study of positions going back to 1952? . . B)

The result would be it is mounted to the bass side of the upper bout. No more or less. Since they seemed to choose the different positions with perfect reproduceability during the recently past years, there has to be a system I think.

As you night have seen, I use strap locks on all of them, so there's no serious shortcoming in the less secure Gibson USA mounting. However, it is about limitations in setting strap lengths which makes the difference.

Closer to the neck results in a more vintage old spec, mellow tone and helps any pickup sound like a nearly shorted out, cigarette smelling, beer stained PAF. Seriously. I read it on the net.

rct

Closer to the neck results in a more vintage old spec, mellow tone and helps any pickup sound like a nearly shorted out, cigarette smelling, beer stained PAF. Seriously. I read it on the net.

rct

What the... Wouldn't have thought that. All of the three above pictured LPs of mine have '57s, and except for the platings they look and measure like clones. So the strap button positions make '57s sound THAT different in these axes? [scared] :o

:P [biggrin]

What the... Wouldn't have thought that. All of the three above pictured LPs of mine have '57s, and except for the platings they look and measure like clones. So the strap button positions make '57s sound THAT different in these axes? [scared] :o

:P [biggrin]

Absolutely, RCT never lies and he's always right [thumbup]

• 1 month later...
My neck straps allow for length adjustment in steps which are pretty coarse. As a consequence, playing these guitars feels a bit different due to their different heights, not bad, but clearly noticeable.
The problem is that you can't adjust a leather strap that small amount. You'll be relegated to using a nylon strap with an adjustment buckle.

Gosh, I'll never learn all there is to know, after 45 years of playing, you'd think I would have known this already

Thank GOD for the INNER-Net.

[razz]

Hello!

Not a concern for me.

However! Only the Epi deserves a felt ring? How come?

Cheers... Bence

The Gibsons came without, and I used the black felt rings supplied by Schaller which aren't obvious in the pics.

The Epiphone came stock with off-white felt rings stock which I used for the locks, too.

To me this is not a problem but still a concern. Of course, there must be enough space left for the strap. In other repects, the closer the upper strap button is to the neck, the better in my opinion.

Archived