Gibson Brands Forums

Pics of ES 175's with a Single Pickup (SP)

AlanC

Very nice. Would the Herb Ellis models count or are they a different animal?

They probably should count but technically as I understand it they are ES165's. However some of the earlier Herb Ellis's have single humbuckers in them and not the floating pickup which is more common in recent times. ES 165's can be a lot cheaper to buy and represent pretty good vaue.I own an ES165 but this is an old photo as I modified it after owning it for 3 years cos I didn't like its tone

1be16164.png

They probably should count but technically as I understand it they are ES165's. However some of the earlier Herb Ellis's have single humbuckers in them and not the floating pickup which is more common in recent times. ES 165's can be a lot cheaper to buy and represent pretty good vaue.I own an ES165 but this is an old photo as I modified it after owning it for 3 years cos I didn't like its tone

1be16164.png

Interesting color. What is it?

I haven't seen too many Herb's in Light Burst - that's a really nice colour.

A few years back I tried a wine red Herb Ellis with the floating pickup and was quite impressed, but strangely it didn't feel as nice to play as my 175. I remember wondering why this was, as I thought a 165 & 175 had the same rounded ES neck profile?, however, it was a great guitar and at a good price too.

Btw, that single pickup 175 at the top of the thread is gorgeous.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived