Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for Gibson Archtop Pickguard Felt Blocks and / or Spacers, PLs.

Dennis D near Milwaukee

Just re-attached a pickguard on a Gibson archtop. There's just a little too much downward give in the guard, and I don't want to be careless one day, and maybe break it loose. I've seen those wood Gibson blocks and felt spacers, but not sure where to locate. I've considered some of those adhesive-backed felt floor protectors for furniture, but wondering if there's a Gibson source or ?

Any help appreciated.

Thx

Dennis

What I use is a wooden dowel rod, glued (or double-sided taped) to the bottom of the pickguard, with a piece of Velcro "loops" stuck to the bottom of the dowel to protect the finish and guard against rattles.

Most hardware stores have nylon bushings which would also work very well as a spacer (again with felt or something on the bottom).

What I use is a wooden dowel rod, glued (or double-sided taped) to the bottom of the pickguard, with a piece of Velcro "loops" stuck to the bottom of the dowel to protect the finish and guard against rattles.

Most hardware stores have nylon bushings which would also work very well as a spacer (again with felt or something on the bottom).

Thx Larry.

The dowel makes sense, and not a bed idea ! Not sure exactly what I'd ask for re: those nylon bushings. I think of a round washer type. ( ?? ) I'll probably call the luthier, and get it to him --just trying to save a couple steps.

Thx again.

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

Thx Larry.

The dowel makes sense, and not a bed idea ! Not sure exactly what I'd ask for re: those nylon bushings. I think of a round washer type. ( ?? ) I'll probably call the luthier, and get it to him --just trying to save a couple steps.

Thx again.

Dennis

I left dowel vs pad decision up to my luthier, and when I dropped it off, I left him with the sticky back felt pads,knowing he already had dowels and had used them. The pads come in 1/2 in. x 3in. strips, which can be easily cut.

So I got it back and now it's set!! He added three pads, stacked w/ varying heights, equally spaced on the guard,to keep each snug against the top. I guess no dowels this time. The pads can be cut easily enough w/ a razor.

I know they were a good idea 'cause he said he was keeping two for his stash.

Thx. again.

Archived