Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard Removal

trossit

Hi Forum,

I recently pickup up on AJ-18S used and in decent shape. I was considering removing the dull looking pickguard. The color is ebony (black) so it should not show that bad once removed. My hope is better sound and better cosmetics. Has anyone tried removing a pickguard from AJ series acoustic guitars? I am assuming they are adhered by a sticky back tape and heating with a hair-driver should loosen the guard.

Any advice or personal experiences to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

It won't change the sound appreciably (or at all). I wouldn't use heat on any of my guitars as you could loosen something else. I did have one removed on a AJ because I like the looks.

Steve, can you post a pic of your AJ without the pick guard? I see that's your profile, pic, but I'd love to see the entire thing bigger if possible.

It won't change the sound appreciably (or at all). I wouldn't use heat on any of my guitars as you could loosen something else. I did have one removed on a AJ because I like the looks.

Thanks Steve, did you ever feel the finish, rosette, or wood was at risk when pulling up the pickguard? Did it appear ro be glued on sticky backed tape? My guitar was made in Korea from 2001.

Archived