Gibson Brands Forums

Fixing a scratch with Tru Oil

Rabs

Hello... I thought this may be of interest to some as its the first time ive really tried this...

Today I was doing some final fret work on the Beech Arrow build (which is now fully playable and intonates and all that :D) and by accident I hit the bottom horn with my file arrrgggg...

However not to worry... Tru Oil to the rescue :)

So here it is

DSC_0392_zpse2c56943.jpg

I simply took some sandpaper to it (400 then 600)

DSC_0393_zps2e0a4611.jpg

Then just a couple of drops of oil

DSC_0394_zps1ec0ab49.jpg

Magic ;)

DSC_0395_zps71b04001.jpg

DSC_0396_zps28ca9a47.jpg

DSC_0397_zpsc318a99e.jpg

If you look REALLY close you can still see a tiny scratch

DSC_0400_zps570d48b3.jpg

But jut a few more layers of oil (leaving each layer to dry for 10 mins or so) and that will get covered

DSC_0401_zps6fe68bf6.jpg

And its gone.. :D

DSC_0402_zps5967a5f5.jpg

Simples .... Another great reason to use tru oil.. No special tools needed or ventilated areas, just rub it on with a cloth... Its darn cool stuff [thumbup]

Hello Rabs!

That's great! [thumbup]

May I ask, do You happen to know a clean solution for fixing the same kind of damages on guitars with high-gloss nitro finish? Something that an average guitar owner could do with confidence?

(The luthier I used to take my guitars scratched/pressed the finish with His nails while turning the bridge thumbwheels...)

Cheers... Bence

Guest Farnsbarns

Hello Rabs!

That's great! [thumbup]

May I ask, do You happen to know a clean solution for fixing the same kind of damages on guitars with high-gloss nitro finish? Something that an average guitar owner could do with confidence?

(The luthier I used to take my guitars scratched/pressed the finish with His nails while turning the bridge thumbwheels...)

Cheers... Bence

Drop fill and wet sand. Not for the feint of heart.

Hello Rabs!

That's great! [thumbup]

Cheers... Bence

Yeah, what Farns said....

Its really not an easy thing to do...

BUT then it depends on how deep those scratches are... You may be able to buff them out.... Otherwise nitro is a right pain I the bum.. And its toxic as hell... Its why I looked for alternative finishes, and your talking for a high gloss finish like 30 coats or something silly..

I haven't even done a high gloss finish myself yet (with nitro)... But I do have several cans... The other issue with nitro is when you spray it, it cant be lower than about 12 degrees C and shouldn't be damp either (or that will effect the finish somewhat).

There are plenty of vids on Youtube about the subject. Heres a polish and buff method..

Archived