Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Studio.

JMR120600

Are you a guitar player, or just getting into it? I learned guitar on a $5 Silvertone flat top acoustic from the late 1930s, and it was fine. You might want to take a look at the Les Paul Studio if there is a GC near you. I considered a Gibson Les Paul Studio because I couldn't afford a non-studio model. But as its name suggests, it probably won't be much of a showpiece. Some of the higher level Les Pauls show up on sale now and again, making them more affordable choices.

If I could get the standard, either with no pickguard, or a black one then I would have it. It's going to be my 2nd electric guitar, I currently have an Encore copy of an SG, And a fender accoustic. I know a lot of people disagree, but I really don't like the white pickguard on black LP's.

For the money you might well get more out of an Agile than an Epiphone LP, but I do like the Studios for their lean looks.

I have a black Agile AL-2000 that plays wonderfully, and feels much more solid than any Studio I've ever tried.

I would go for an Epi LP Standard due to the maple top, but in case the white pickguard is a dealbreaker for you, it would have to be the Studio.

Anyway, I would recommend checking out both of them, and trying several of each if possible. Playability and tone gave way to all of my decisions in the end. I don't like pickguards on LPs at all but also own an LP with one and left it there... [rolleyes]

It wouldn't be a dealbreaker, just a preference, I will try them both at a guitar shop, and see which I prefer, I would guess I prefer the feel of the studio, but the tone and quality of the standard. I love the binding on LP's probably moreso than I do black pickguards.

It wouldn't be a dealbreaker, just a preference, I will try them both at a guitar shop, and see which I prefer, I would guess I prefer the feel of the studio, but the tone and quality of the standard. I love the binding on LP's probably moreso than I do black pickguards.

if you decide to get the Standard, you can always swap the plastic parts like the pickguard and pickup mounting rings for black ones for a small price.

So, I'm looking at getting this guitar at Christmas this year, I was wondering if anyone owns one? What are your experiences with it, and is it an overall good guitar for the price?

As others have suggested, I'd recommend spending 50 bucks more and getting a new Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Or for that matter, for the same amount, I'd get an Epiphone ES-335 Pro (black might be hard to find). [thumbup]

Archived