Gibson Brands Forums

1963 EJ-45 Acoustics

Noel_G

Hi all,

I've noticed these Limited run Epiphone 1963 EJ-45s are in stock in some dealers here in the UK and was wondering if anyone on here had either played or owned one.

I think they look really good and for only £159.00 they seem to be a bargain.

Hello Mr Gallagher!

I played one in a local Dawsons the other day - lovely looking guitar but for me the AJ220 sounded far better.

The one I saw had a sticker on it indicating it had a solid top but I'm sure they have laminated tops. PLayed both guitars side by side and it was no contest - the AJ220 does have a solid top.

Dodger

Hi Dodger,

Thanks for the input, I've looked at the AJ220s as well and find them to be nice guitars. Just testing the water a bit here as I'm

looking to maybe selll the J200 and go back to a dreadnought.

Scott (Noel)

Thanks for the input, I've looked at the AJ220s as well and find them to be nice guitars. Just testing the water a bit here as I'm looking to maybe sell the J200 and go back to a dreadnought.

The J45s are indeed all laminate and the reports on them we get here on the Epiphone forum aren't good. If you can swing just a bit more cash, go for the IB64 Texan as it is the most solidly built non-Masterbilt acoustic in the Epiphone family of guitars currently for sale. It's got solid top and solid back. The sides are laminate, which actually serve the guitar well as it helps it to not crack over time, but doesn't mess up the tone (which is fantastic by the way). It's only $399 USD and includes really good electronics in case you ever need to plug in. As with most acoustics, you're going to want to play it before you buy it. Find a good one and you'll be sold from the first strum.

Hi Dodger,

Thanks for the input, I've looked at the AJ220s as well and find them to be nice guitars. Just testing the water a bit here as I'm

looking to maybe selll the J200 and go back to a dreadnought.

Scott (Noel)

As Cliff says Scott the Texan is a great guitar and you can get them in the UK for less than £300

I don't own one but have played a few and they sound great

Aha! Thank you for the correction, good sir! The reports we're hearing is that it looks great, but sounds quite awful. What was your experience with It?

Well, the 2 you opened the door on; plus, very poor build quality. Yeah, I think it came on Friday delivery, by the following Wednesday it was picked up by the FedX truck. and paid for by the company.

Faded.....

Well, the 2 you opened the door on; plus, very poor build quality. Yeah, I think it came on Friday delivery, by the following Wednesday it was picked up by the FedX truck. and paid for by the company.

Faded.....

Its is kind of a let down that they wouldn't take more pride and care in making the ej 45 who knows maybe they will come out with a masterbuilt ej 45 but I doubt it

I looked at one about a year ago and it's not a solid wood top . I have an AJ-100 and the only thing the J45 had that was different was it had better tuners and a shorter scale. I will add it was setup a lot better meaning it had a nice low action and no fret buzz but for three time the price. I also tried the only AJ220S they had which had the new satin neck and better tuners and a solid spruce top however it really needed more work to set it up than my AJ100. Some are great off the shelf or out of the box, others makes me wonder how they ever passed the inspection that's done in the USA . Sometimes I do wonder did the inspector guy forget his glasses or did he have one to many glasses. Was it his first day or last day on the job. Is it the same guy who puts the big sticker at the top of the back of the head stock or are there two one who puts that sticker on and another who puts the little round sticker on just below the square one and above the made in Indonesia one. Man if there's two guys and it gets by both did they have the same issues on the same day and which sticker goes on first, who gets the blame?

Archived