Gibson Brands Forums

EF-500PNS arrived

Cougar

I am really blown away. This guitar, built in 2003, is utterly brand new, flawless. It's got to be one of a kind. Except for dannyelectro's. [smile] I just noticed the serial number is on the early oval Epi sticker and also stamped into the neck block inside, like a Martin. The seller put on new strings and gave it a setup. It sounds like a Masterbilt. I'll have to do a 3-way comparison.

Yes, I've scheduled a photo shoot. :rolleyes:

I am really blown away. This guitar, built in 2003, is utterly brand new, flawless. It's got to be one of a kind. Except for dannyelectro's. [smile] I just noticed the serial number is on the early oval Epi sticker and also stamped into the neck block inside, like a Martin. The seller put on new strings and gave it a setup. It sounds like a Masterbilt. I'll have to do a 3-way comparison.

Yes, I've scheduled a photo shoot. :rolleyes:

nice congrats I look forward to those photos

How's the sound? Does it have a cedar top? Very nicely done...a great acquisition.

Well, it's labeled a PNS - no C for cedar, so I expect it's sitka. It doesn't look any more different than the difference in the spruce tops on my MNS and RA. :rolleyes: AFAIK, it's not in any catalog, not on the Epi site, nowhere. Your comment back on dannyelectro's thread is my favorite: "That should not exist!" [thumbup]

So that was in April, d'electro was wondering:

Wondering why so little info available on a regular production model though?

I think the answer is, it was never a regular production model. Apparently produced only in 2003 prior to the start of Masterbilt production in 2004. Just for marketing reps, trade shows, who knows who else? [both Danny's and mine had been located in Nashville.] After that, some of the DRs and AJs were regularly produced with maple back and sides, but not the EFs. I wonder how many of these were made. I don't imagine all that many.

The sound? Well, at the moment, I don't have a level playing field. The seller of the PNS said he just put on Martin strings, which I'm assuming are 12s, but I guess could be heavier. I'll ask him. My MNS has phosphor-bronze 12s, and the RANS has 11s, so it can't really compete. I really, really like my MNS (thanks for the goading, cliffenstein [woot] ). It is super resonant, and it turned out to be in mint condition. I figured it would win over the maple. But no, the maple has this big, full, loud, huge sound. It really puts out the tones. Like I said, it might be a difference of the strings. The mahogany is also big, full, and loud. Sure, putting 13s on it would make it moreso.

My fingers hurt. #-o

Archived