Gibson Brands Forums

Bracing on all Gibson Acoustics

B1ues Boy

I received a Email from Gibson about Forward shifted bracing and Gibson Guitars

I hope this clears up some false advertising

Hello B1ues,

Gibson acoustic does not shift the bracing. That is a technique used by Martin. We have a standard X Brace which is found on the J-45, Hummingbird and many others. The J-35 has what we call a 30's bracing pattern like the AJ. This makes for a longer bridge plate and brings out a greater dynamic range ( more mids and a little more volume)

Hope this answers your question regarding the bracing?

P.S. I hope Gibson Pins this to the top

Thanks Dale Hamon

The dreaded Double X-braced Gibson's from the 70's

My Heritage from the early '70s sounded just fine with double-X bracing,

and there are plenty of Gibsons with traditional bracing that sound like crap.

The guitar world can often put a reasonable generalization to shame!

Absolutely. It's the same about quartersawn and flatsawn timbers. In the average, quartersawn woods may support richness of tone and sustain better, but there also are awesome guitars made of flatsawn blanks, with fantastic tone and sustain.

I've read, more than once, from more than one source, that the bracing pattern used in the AJ is both wider, and moved forward, toward the soundhole. If that's not the case, I'd be very curious to know what the difference is between Gibson's standard bracing and the AJ-style bracing. Anyone know? Our friends from Gibson, perhaps?

P

I've read, more than once, from more than one source, that the bracing pattern used in the AJ is both wider, and moved forward, toward the soundhole. If that's not the case, I'd be very curious to know what the difference is between Gibson's standard bracing and the AJ-style bracing. Anyone know? Our friends from Gibson, perhaps?

P

...and here's the answer...

P

My Heritage from the early '70s sounded just fine with double-X bracing,

and there are plenty of Gibsons with traditional bracing that sound like crap.

and I have a an SJ from 74 that hangs in just fine with all my other Gibsons, older or newer.

This looks like Forward Shifted bracing to me ???? so whats the difference ????

The only difference in gibsons bracing patters .

Is that the 30's Aj bracing has a "wide x" versus the standard x placement.

The wide x makes an instrument more resposive because a larger portion of the top is being directly affected when you strike a note.

JC

The bridge plates in those 1970s Gibsons look like a piece of furniture.

I read once where Matt Umanov visited the folks at Gibson after they had started to try and get their act together and pulled the double X bracing. They told him that not only was the bracing ridiculously thick in the 1970s but the tops they were told to make were 30% thicker than what the original blueprints called for.

This looks like Forward Shifted bracing to me ???? so whats the difference ????

The Gibson bracing 'X' is approximately 1 1/2 inches from the sound hole. Forward shifted bracing is only about an inch. The wider angle of the AJ style bracing accomplishes the same kind of thing as forward bracing creating more end at the bottom.

Archived