Gibson Brands Forums

Check this out - have you seen a 2013 SGJ like this before

Mickthemiller

Could any of you guys check this out and give me your verdict? It is described as an SGJ. It must be a 2013 model but it has no plastic pup covers and the machine heads are not black. I asked the seller about the pups but he said they were as he bought it recently - new! I cannot find a 2013 SGJ that looks like it. I love a mystery - Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331302163914?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Could any of you guys check this out and give me your verdict? It is described as an SGJ. It must be a 2013 model but it has no plastic pup covers and the machine heads are not black. I asked the seller about the pups but he said they were as he bought it recently - new! I cannot find a 2013 SGJ that looks like it. I love a mystery - Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331302163914?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hello, Mickthemiller!

From what I can see on this eBay posting; it looks legit, although the lack of pickup covers is an interesting point. The colour looks standard though; they did the guitar in that rubbed / satin Cherry Red finish (another one here)

It could just be the light that makes it look a bit strange, or brighter, etc.

The pickup covers could have been removed by the seller, by the store, or simple not fitted at Gibson.

Hello, Mickthemiller!

From what I can see on this eBay posting; it looks legit, although the lack of pickup covers is an interesting point. The colour looks standard though; they did the guitar in that rubbed / satin Cherry Red finish (another one here)

It could just be the light that makes it look a bit strange, or brighter, etc.

The pickup covers could have been removed by the seller, by the store, or simple not fitted at Gibson.

Hi TM_ Fisher and thanks for the reply

Yes, the pickup covers could have been removed but the seller says not. Also the pickups have adjusting screws and I am reliably informed that the pickups on the 2013 LPJ and the SGJ do not have adjusting screws under the plastic covers, they are all flat slugs - the machineheads are snot green and not black. Believe me I have searched the net and cannot find another SGJ that looks like this one. It may be that it is a one off pre-production or the shop has done the mods - but why change the machines? The seller says he bought it for £499 just 3 weeks ago. It's still a mystery!

STOP PRESS ..........................................

I've found one here http://www.musicland...roducts_id=2793

Mystery solved! It's Italian by the looks of it - Now why didn't Gibson do 'em all with these pickups instead of the EMG lookalikes?

Hi TM_ Fisher and thanks for the reply

Yes, the pickup covers could have been removed but the seller says not. Also the pickups have adjusting screws and I am reliably informed that the pickups on the 2013 LPJ and the SGJ do not have adjusting screws under the plastic covers, they are all flat slugs - the machineheads are snot green and not black. Believe me I have searched the net and cannot find another SGJ that looks like this one. It may be that it is a one off pre-production or the shop has done the mods - but why change the machines? The seller says he bought it for £499 just 3 weeks ago. It's still a mystery!

STOP PRESS ..........................................

I've found one here http://www.musicland...roducts_id=2793

Mystery solved! It's Italian by the looks of it - Now why didn't Gibson do 'em all with these pickups instead of the EMG lookalikes?

Knowing why Gibson do some of the things they do is usually an elusive and evasive topic... [tongue] it sometimes seems like even their own marketing team don't know!

Knowing why Gibson do some of the things they do is usually an elusive and evasive topic... [tongue] it sometimes seems like even their own marketing team don't know!

[biggrin] Perhaps a retailer exclusive model. :-k There are lots of different ones all around the planet.

Looks like a 2013 model. No Anniversary on the 12th fret. And the owner must have removed the pickup covers? Its still pretty pricey for a 2013 SGJ. And the fact that they are saying it's only 3 weeks old should be concerning.

Archived