Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson IV Bass

Hutton

I'm new to the forum after purchasing a Gibson IV bass. Does anyone else own one as I've had a great deal of difficulty in finding out anything about this rather nice bass. Or perhaps somebody could point me in the right direction. Here she is:-

Gib7.jpg

I have been racking my brain trying to remember when these came out. I think it was in the mid to late 90s. It may have been before Gibson bought Tobias, I just don't know. This won't help much, but here is a link to a Gibson Bass website, it mainly deals with the Vintage basses from Gibson and is by no means complete.

Gibson Basses

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi,

I have the exact same bass for about 4 years now.

I tried to find some information but I only could find a picture of the bass IV in a white finish, which was not so cool.

There's also a Bass V, right?

according to the guitar dater project, my bass was manufactured in 1987 at the Nashville Plant.

does anyone have an idea what kind of pickups are on it? what kind of wood it is?

I know almost nothing of basses, because I'm a drummer mainly :-k

and Hutton, on what forum did you find more info?

thanks.

Those were made in 1986 to 1987 (probably 1988 still). That was a tough time for Gibson. They really seemed to try to put out something modern for that time. They put out basses based on the Victory (Q-80, Q-90, WCR, Bass IV and Bass V), using mahogany bodies and mostly putting on pickups and electronics that were already used on previous models. I think the end came to these models when Norlin sold Gibson.

• 4 months later...

The Gibson IV bass was made from 1986-88, had a mahgony body and neck, an ebony fingerboard, 2 Thunderbird pickups, black chrome hardware, a 34" scale length and was available in pearl white, natural, ferrari red or heather poly. There was a Gibson V 5 string bass as well with the same specs made from 1986-88.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't know about those. Too bad they are as rare

as they seem to be. I think I'm in lust.

+1.

All the good stuff ..... mahogany, dual T-bird PU's,

ebony FB ..... without the silly T-bird shape. What

more could you ax ?

For those who WOULD ax more anywayz, check

out that bridge PU location ..... looks extree close

to the bridge. And hey, there's another great point

for the Gibson IV: no dumbast three-point bridge !

If this had been an Ibnez they woulda sold zillions.

`

• 1 year later...

I found this forum while looking for information for *my* Gibson IV bass, so I'm also new like the original poster. My Gibson IV looks exactly the same as the one in the picture (minus the girl), and I love the way it plays & sounds. I bought mine used in '91 but have always wondered if it had its electronics modified since the back cover looks like a replacement. Any pointers to the original electronics schematic would be appreciated.

My Gibson IV was made Jan 22, 1987, and may have been the first stamped that day (last 3 sn digits are 501, so either the 1st make in Nashville, or 501st from the day). I found the serial number information using this URL:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

Here is mine:

post-38896-070200300 1325886375_thumb.jpg

I think it's a bolt-on (not sure), but it's definitely a great bang for the buck. I nearly bought one myself not that long ago.

Another attempt by Gibson to chip away at the Fender market (like the Victory and Q-80).

Bottom line - you can't go wrong with a mahogany bass loaded with TBird pickups. No 3-point bridge is just more gravy. If you find one in good shape around $400-$500 grab it.

I think it's a bolt-on (not sure), but it's definitely a great bang for the buck. I nearly bought one myself not that long ago.

Another attempt by Gibson to chip away at the Fender market (like the Victory and Q-80).

Bottom line - you can't go wrong with a mahogany bass loaded with TBird pickups. No 3-point bridge is just more gravy. If you find one in good shape around $400-$500 grab it.

Another similar bass is the Double Cut or (later) Money Bass: 24 frets, TB+ Humbuckers, mahogany neck (set) and body, flame maple cap, and a nice bridge. A real player. I never leave home without it. [rolleyes]

Another similar bass is the Double Cut or (later) Money Bass: 24 frets, TB+ Humbuckers, mahogany neck (set) and body, flame maple cap, and a nice bridge. A real player. I never leave home without it. [rolleyes]

Too bad they don't show up for $500....... [wink]

Archived