Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Please listen!

sjruvolo

I harken for the days when Gibson made a quality, simply and sweet sounding instrument. Gibson should simplify the line, stick to the tried and true beautiful fininishes and skip MinEtune. WTF...most musicians, especialy gigging musicians have some sort of tuner in their effects chain. Most gig with at least 2 or more guitars. Other companies do not fit that ugly, over complicated gadget to the back of their head stocks, and one more thing and this goes for all manufacturers...If you are going to charge $1000 or more for an instrument include a hard case!

Business has gone a long way since "You can have any colour you like as long as it's black" Just think if Gibson (and others) had stuck to the the old stuff, we would all be playing F hole archtops (I have one of those too, a Loar). It's progress your seeing - evolution! And when you are in the midst of it you don't see the whole.

When I bought my SGs recently I had a choice between 2013 and 2014 models. Went with 2013 only because of the tuning gizmo on the 2014s. I'll probably warm up to it, but at this point, no thanks.

Do any of the bigtime endorsers like Slash use it on stage? Would be interested to know those stats.

... WTF...most musicians, especialy gigging musicians have some sort of tuner in their effects chain. ...

These Gibson/Tronical contraptions have been around since 2007 when the Original Robot came out. There's a market and Gibson is making money, even though there have been a lot of nay sayers. A somewhat perplexed Henry Juszkiewicz called the nay sayers and tech complainers 'ludites' - that comment started a lot of threads here on the forums. BTW, Jimmy Page, who might be considered a "gigging musician", has been into self tuning for long time, with Transperformance (now AxCent) since 1990 and has used his Transperformance/AxCent guitars on stage. A lot of musicians find these systems useful in the studio too. I still have the SG LTD Robot I purchased new in 2008 - still working great.

2008SG-RobotLTDmd-.jpg

I harken for the days when Gibson made a quality, simply and sweet sounding instrument. Gibson should simplify the line, stick to the tried and true beautiful fininishes and skip MinEtune. WTF...most musicians, especialy gigging musicians have some sort of tuner in their effects chain. Most gig with at least 2 or more guitars. Other companies do not fit that ugly, over complicated gadget to the back of their head stocks, and one more thing and this goes for all manufacturers...If you are going to charge $1000 or more for an instrument include a hard case!

Well they have done two of those things..

The 2015 line (as far as we know) has been simplified, no more faded or low end guitars... And they all come with hardcases....

The min e tune thing can easily be taken off if you don't like it (even though it would be nice to have a choice).

I wish they were still building them the good old way also, but in order to stay competitive they do what they do. Since there was less than a 1000 59s built I probably wont own one. I did however buy 3 new Gibson's since 2009 and have decided after that I would only buy the used ones preferably built in the 80s or older, it isn't hard to find a used Gibson that has been handled with kid gloves. Lets face it, everything changes. even the Gibson's we love.

• 2 months later...

as far as guitars go & quality ,,myself it took many guitars before i found the ones i liked & felt good in my hands ,,one was an 08 es137,,,,,2010 sg classic,,2013 les paul trad pro ,,thing was heavy heavy heavy,,felt just like the 70'&80's models ,,only thing i didnt like was the active pups with coil splits & 10 db boost,,,recently purchased a 2014 original sg,,it just takes a while to find the guitar "you" like feels comfortable to "you",,they are out there ,,but for myself were pretty hard to find!!!!

msp_thumbup.gif

Admittedly, I'm a bit of a "Luddite," on SOME things! SG's for just one example, I stayed

away from for 40 years (30 of which, I didn't play at all). It was only when Gibson went

BACK to early '60's spec's (wider, deeper beveling, and horn tapers) that I got interested

in SG's again. Now, I'm sure the SG's in-between that were FINE instruments. But, the aesthetics

didn't do anything for me, for the longest time. I just LOVED the wider, deeper beveling and

horn tapering of the early, to mid '60's original versions. Without those features, they

seemed, somehow, a lot less "SG" to me! But, that's just ME!

I really don't care about how many versions of the models they make. As long as they don't stop

making the ones "I" still love. Those are the only one's I'd buy, new or used, anyway. So...???

CB

I didn't want that baloney either so I bought 2013s, one in late '13 and one recently. Like I tell my friends jokingly "If you can't tune your instrument maybe you should play the triangle".

The only part that bothers me about Min E-Tune or G-Force is the fact they put it on practically every guitar with the standard headstock and within a certain price range, which is pretty wide. It's not on the cheapest models nor the expensive ones but they're on most everything between $1000-$3000. I would prefer it were an option. But like someone else said they're a business and it makes them $$ so forget that. The only way they'll stop it is if they see a serious drop in sales but that is not likely to happen so buy used or another brand.

2013 was a great year for Gibsons!

2013 was a great year for Gibsons!

It certainly was. Both the LP & SG line had some really nice models, but then they screwed them all up in 2014 [thumbdn] Also, as well as the new tech gizmos, I wish they would stop putting perimeter bursts on Les Pauls - it just looks weird to me and not how an LP should be.

The min e tune thing can easily be taken off if you don't like it (even though it would be nice to have a choice).

Yeah, that's true, but it's real cute of them to charge me for it (even though I don't want it) when I buy the guitar, and then I have to pay extra for the less expensive manual tuning I do want when I change it out.

And there's really nothing you can do about those necks after the fact, except as FZ Fan noted - don't buy them in the first place. And I won't be. Though that has less to do with me not liking the 2015 line than the fact that I've already got plenty of guitars I'm quite happy with.

Archived