Gibson Brands Forums

PAS/GAS

Jimi Mac

Hhmmm...

While there are so many OD pedals to choose from, Andy @ Pro Guitar Shop doesn't make it any easier to pass-up on the latest & "greatest."

Currently Wampler is putting out their Clarksdale Delta Overdrive...

It looks like a really good pedal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuNfFiIywGk

The Clarksdale Overdrive finds its namesake in Clarksdale, Mississippi, the official birthplace of delta blues. With a circuit design as timeless as the blues, the Tube Screamer has been hand in hand with the delta sound since 1979. And since then, players have been searching for “the one.” Oftentimes, players will flip pedals as quickly as they change strings. Brian Wampler, however, knows dirt better than perhaps anyone on the planet, and has meticulously crafted the Clarksdale to be the most precision-calibrated take on the Screamer sound to date.

A three-band EQ adorns the front of the Clarksdale, to make the pedal adaptable to any guitar and amp combination currently on the market. Never again will players complain about any type of overbearing mid-hump; the mids of the Clarksdale can be as pronounced as the player wishes, which gives the pedal an automatic edge when being fed into a Marshall, Vox or any other inherently midrange-y amplifier.

The Lift/Smooth toggle switch adds or removes clipping options to the feedback path of the Tube Screamer topology. However, unlike most other ‘Screamers, there is no inherent fizziness to the tone on either switch setting at either extreme of the Gain dial. Use Smooth clipping on low gain settings for a gentle crunch or the Lift setting on full-gain for unbridled raw rock fury—there won’t be a hint of fizz cluttering up your tone.

The Clarksdale is hand-built in the USA and is wired for true bypass. It accepts a standard 9v 2.1mm center-negative Boss-style power adapter. The current draw is 17mA—isolated power supply ready!​

A bit pricey for me, but they all are when new...

Still, it does sound impressive...

Wampler's stuff is really nice. I've been lusting after their Ace-Thirty pedal. I get great OD out of my Mesa 5-50 Express, so if I get another OD Pedal, it needs to give me tones I can't produce with my amp. The Ace-Thirty does that. There are some great YT vids out there showing what it does with single coil and humbuckers.

I like watching the PGS vids, but never buy based on how Andy makes the gear sound. He could make a shoe string and cigar box sound like a million bucks [biggrin]

Not to mention he never plays with a pick. I don't care if they say they can't discern the difference between a pick and his fingers; it's a different attack, a different material (keratin), and a different thickness/shape to a guitar pick. I play primarily with a pick, so his demos are pretty much useless to me.

-Ryan

Wampler's stuff is really nice. I've been lusting after their Ace-Thirty pedal. I get great OD out of my Mesa 5-50 Express, so if I get another OD Pedal, it needs to give me tones I can't produce with my amp. The Ace-Thirty does that. There are some great YT vids out there showing what it does with single coil and humbuckers.

I am on the same boat, my Mesa 5:25 Express makes owning overdrive pedals redundant unless it is something off the wall like my Walrus Audio-Iron Horse (which is labeled as an overdrive but it isn't, pretty insane pedal), I have a Coffin Blood Drive that I had before I bought the Mesa and I kept it but never use it.

I also have a Marshall SL-5 so high-ish gain sounds are also covered there. I cannot even find use for a booster either.

Archived