Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Riviera P93

slk

Well guys I ordered one from GC and it will be here this Tuesday coming. I managed them to come down quite a bit on the case also, so I will be getting the 940-E519 when I pick up the guitar.

I have a question about the guitar?? On the back of the neck by the tuners it says "Custom Shop". Is that anything special, or has it actually had anything special done here in the USA??? Just curious?????

Steve

Well guys I ordered one from GC and it will be here this Tuesday coming. I managed them to come down quite a bit on the case also, so I will be getting the 940-E519 when I pick up the guitar.

I have a question about the guitar?? On the back of the neck by the tuners it says "Custom Shop". Is that anything special, or has it actually had anything special done here in the USA??? Just curious?????

Steve

Congrats on the new guitar! Normally the Custom Shop logo means it is a limited edition model. I got mine a few years ago and then they went out of production for a while. It is a very nice guitar and sound good too. I like the way you can add the middle pickup with the extra volume control.

When I got mine the bridge was set crazy high which I had to adjust and I also had to do some tweaking to the truss rod, but after this it played pretty good [thumbup]

I am very glad to here you like it. I have not heard a bad report yet for it. I haven't bought a new electric in many moons. Glad to hear that it was relative easy to set it up. Did you do the set-up yourself or have it done? Also glad the sound quality is good too.

Steve

I am very glad to here you like it. I have not heard a bad report yet for it. I haven't bought a new electric in many moons. Glad to hear that it was relative easy to set it up. Did you do the set-up yourself or have it done? Also glad the sound quality is good too.

Steve

Yes, I set it up myself...but it was all straightforward and nothing major. I know some guitarists think all guitars need a setup after buying them, but in 23 years of playing I have found only a few of the ones I've bought needed it and the ones that did literally involved lowering the bridge most times. I own a number of Epi's in my collection and most of them have played great out of the box [smile]

Ok I received my guitar today, and I had it for about an hour. Why I don't know but I looked at the inside box after pulling the guitar out of it and I noticed the box had been crushed in a corner. I suddenly looked at the corner of the guitar and sure enough it had a hairline crack in either the finish or wood but you could feel it with your nail. I called GC and they said to bring it right back. No problems at all with GC. They even have the new one coming with 2 day air and they gave me any set of strings I wanted in the store for my troubles. Great service from them. Someone from the distribution center had to put the crushed box in the shipping box. The shipping box had no damage what so ever. So I will have the new one Thursday. I just hope it is OK

Steve

Interesting. I have had to return a couple guitars for neck to body fractures alsomsp_thumbdn.gif, at the neck heelmsp_thumbdn.gif. Overstress, or Gorilla handlingdry.gifmsp_unsure.gif...lol. Hopefully all will be /OK the second timer around. Please keep us informedmsp_thumbup.gif

The new replacement made it here today and is in great shape. It sure is a beautiful guitar. Played it for an hour or so, and I am very pleased with it. Now I have to learn how to adjust the pickups/controls for different sounds. Not quite use to having 3 pickups. I really wish the knobs had a pointer so I could know where they are set. I suppose I can get use to them like they are. Any advice is very welcome

Steve

The new replacement made it here today and is in great shape. It sure is a beautiful guitar. Played it for an hour or so, and I am very pleased with it. Now I have to learn how to adjust the pickups/controls for different sounds. Not quite use to having 3 pickups. I really wish the knobs had a pointer so I could know where they are set. I suppose I can get use to them like they are. Any advice is very welcome

Steve

Here you go...

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Knobs/Control_Knobs/Knob_Position_Indicator.html

CB

That is a great price on the pointers. I called GC and they have the Gibson historical ones for $25.00. Kind of steep for those pieces...

I suppose Gibson & Epiphone can save millions by not putting them on the guitars any more.

It doesn't appear to be much of a job to put them on as long as the pot doesn't fall into the body while trying to slip them on.

Steve

That is a great price on the pointers. I called GC and they have the Gibson historical ones for $25.00. Kind of steep for those pieces...

I suppose Gibson & Epiphone can save millions by not putting them on the guitars any more.

It doesn't appear to be much of a job to put them on as long as the pot doesn't fall into the body while trying to slip them on.

Steve

they still come on some models every now and again. Gibson probably pays a couple of cents each for them.

• 6 months later...

Boring story: I received a wine red Riviera P93 by FedEx with a fractured neck. AMS sent me a packing slip & I shipped it back. As soon as they confirmed the return was picked up they sent another to replace it. Total delay time was about 1 week.

Better story: Great guitar, well made, nice tones, easy to play, beautiful finish, no problems whatsoever. Neck was straight; i lowered the bridge maybe 1mm & put Tomastik stainless 11--42 heavier gauge strings on it & it sings. I don't think it needs anything else besides the new strings but I've yet to test it in a louder. live-band setting--louder than my living room anyway.

Bigsby is kind-of a pain in the *** to put strings on but not so bad. I don't use it so I just point the arm away. I might take the arm off & replace the spring with a piece of pipe but not urgent. It tunes /plays fine.

It can use some washers on the strap buttons to keep my skinny gretsch strap permanently on. Bottom line, a great guitar out of the box.

Compared to stock 2014 Sheraton II I prefer these pickups but the feel is very close. Might be the same neck. Compared to a Korean Emperor Regent this feels a lot more sturdy & stronger like I don't have to be too careful playing it. I wish I still had that Emperor.

Romance: I think this is the one. Somewhat early to tell but I think I'm in love. Robben Ford lessons here I come.

• 4 months later...

Did Epiphone dish out for that award? Awards.

Hmmmm....you sound (God forbid) almost as cynical, as I am, these days! [biggrin]

But, I doubt Epiphone had much, if any, influence on their ranking/awards.

Does anyone know how they acquire the guitars they "test?" Is it "off the rack,"

or supplied by the manufacturer...hopefully, for unbiased feedback, etc.?

CB

Archived