Gibson Brands Forums

Stings on 2014 models

Sybex7254

Has anyone else recently bought a 2014 LPJ or Les Paul Melody Maker and had it come strung with D'Addario's instead of Gibson strings? Both of mine came this way and were brand new out of the box.

The new Cleartone strings also have colored ball ends, that's probably what's on there. There should be mention of them in the case candy.

The new Cleartone strings also have colored ball ends, that's probably what's on there. There should be mention of them in the case candy.

All the Gibson Owner's Manuals of mine say the guitars came with .010s stock although some featured "mixed" .009" - .046" sets. There are no further details to be found. Just one of my Gibson USA guitars included a separate Gibson Strings & Accessories advertisement. Several of my Gibson basses came with a tag saying "Genuine Gibson Strings" although I couldn't find any offered in the Gibson store or anywhere else.

Other guitar manufacturers also endorse their strings without telling exactly what they were.

Anyway, I don't care and put on some I like. B)

All the Gibson Owner's Manuals of mine say the guitars came with .010s stock although some featured "mixed" .009" - .046" sets. There are no further details to be found. Just one of my Gibson USA guitars included a separate Gibson Strings & Accessories advertisement. Several of my Gibson basses came with a tag saying "Genuine Gibson Strings" although I couldn't find any offered in the Gibson store or anywhere else.

Other guitar manufacturers also endorse their strings without telling exactly what they were.

Anyway, I don't care and put on some I like. B)

I believe the mixed sets are the Cleartone and the 10's are Britewires. I took my mixed set off, too

I heard a rumor, that I have NOT tried to verify, that D'Addario makes Gibson's strings.

Anything is possible. But, the Cleartones have one of the Everly Brothers as the owner of the company. It seems odd that Gibson would buy them from him when they could go directly to D'Addario and put their own name on them. No telling who makes them for Everly.

Archived