Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul + Bigsby

Pesh

Hello all.

Recently saw the new Collectors Choice #14 guitar; the Waddy Watchel 1960 LP. And to my surprise, it had a Bigsby B5! I was under the assumption that B5's were for Telecasters and SG's, having only ever seen a Les Paul with a B7.

A quick Google image search later, and I find that it's not an uncommon upgrade.

I am in the midst of heavy considerations of adding a Bigsby to one of my Les Paul guitars; and wanted to see if anyone here had ever upgraded a Standard or Traditional LP (or anything carve-top) with a B5 rather than a B7; what their experiences were, and the process they went through.

Gratuitous photos mandatory [tongue]

The Waddy model looks great, but I prefer 'The Babe', I think it was CC number 3.

Here's my 1957 Custom Reissue (2009). I haven't had many problems with tuning in regards to the Bigsby. Thankfully I got it before Gibson had all their ebony taken away.

Gibson1957LesPaulCustom_zpsd482cb39.jpg

IMG_1118_zpsb11da972.jpg

Also, below is my SG Custom Kirk Douglas (apologies - not the best photo), but it is interesting to compare the Maestro Lyre on this to the Bigsby on my R7 LP. I actually find the Lyre unit slightly more responsive...

IMG_1115_zps1733f36b.jpg

They're cool but a B&*TCH to keep in tune.

The Waddy model looks great, but I prefer 'The Babe', I think it was CC number 3.

Here's my 1957 Custom Reissue (2009). I haven't had many problems with tuning in regards to the Bigsby. Thankfully I got it before Gibson had all their ebony taken away.

Gibson1957LesPaulCustom_zpsd482cb39.jpg

IMG_1118_zpsb11da972.jpg

Also, below is my SG Custom Kirk Douglas (apologies - not the best photo), but it is interesting to compare the Maestro Lyre on this to the Bigsby on my R7 LP. I actually find the Lyre unit slightly more responsive...

IMG_1115_zps1733f36b.jpg

Do you guys know what it is about a Bigsby setup that makes things go out of tune? I've got locking machineheads on the one that the Bigsby will probably be going on, and I'm getting a GraphTech nut and saddles down the line, too. Or is it because the mechanism keeps stretching the strings when used?

Do you guys know what it is about a Bigsby setup that makes things go out of tune? I've got locking machineheads on the one that the Bigsby will probably be going on, and I'm getting a GraphTech nut and saddles down the line, too. Or is it because the mechanism keeps stretching the strings when used?

Well, all trem systems tend to suffer from slight tuning instability, unless you have a locking nut/ Floyd Rose type combination. Normally tuning issues come from the friction created at contact points, where the string touches another surface. It is therefore always advisable to change strings fairly regularly. There are lubricating products on the market specifically for the nut, so you should check these out and they will help remedy the issue. I guess you could try using on the Bigsby itself, but I haven't done this this myself. Also, bear in mind a Bigsby should be used gently as they were not designed to be abused like a Floyd Rose [smile]

Well, all trem systems tend to suffer from slight tuning instability unless you have a locking nut/ Floyd Rose type combination. Normally tuning issues come from the friction created at contact points, where the string touches another surface. It is therefore always advisable to change strings fairly regularly. There are lubricating products on the market specifically for the nut, so you should check these out and they will help remedy the issue. I guess you could try using them on the Bigsby itself, but I haven't done this this myself. Also, bear in mind a Bigsby should be used gently as they were not designed to be abused like a Floyd Rose [smile]

• 2 weeks later...

Well, all trem systems tend to suffer from slight tuning instability unless you have a locking nut/ Floyd Rose type combination. Normally tuning issues come from the friction created at contact points, where the string touches another surface. It is therefore always advisable to change strings fairly regularly. There are lubricating products on the market specifically for the nut, so you should check these out and they will help remedy the issue. I guess you could try using them on the Bigsby itself, but I haven't done this this myself. Also, bear in mind a Bigsby should be used gently as they were not designed to be abused like a Floyd Rose [smile]

Cool; thanks Cody. The Gibbo I'm looking to do the upgrade-on has got locking machineheads, and will soon have a GraphTech nut and GraphTech Saddles; which will hopefully solve the friction issues.

And worry not; it won't be abused! [tongue]

Archived