Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Epiphone Union Jack Sheraton waiting thread

sdgails

I've seen the guitar up close at the British music experience, before it closed, they were gold at some point but had tarnished quite bad. I could see the gold quite bright over the edge of the pickups where they were obviously touched less.

Makes sense...guess I'll have to play mine extensively :)

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS - I still may do my own John Squire Hofner paint-splatter project

I've thought of doing this for a few years now, MASSIVE roses fan, I was after a 64 country gent when I saw the UJ preorders. I went for the UJ due to apparent limited edition, I'll get a country gent in the new year hopefully!

Mine came and was an absolute mess. played real bad, sounded awful and the paint job was shocking. cant even tell you how disappointing it was. sent it back and bought a refin 62 sheraton off of ebay and its mint! its stunning and the finish is bang on, just wish epiphone would release a sheraton with the larger headstock like the elitists or the JLH model. a limited edition original spec sheraton would be the stuff of dreams!

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b586/liamporter1/Screenshot_2014-11-21-19-16-38_zpsd22159eb.png

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b586/liamporter1/ad356969-6b54-4eac-8ee0-64c06b84428e_zps1913d001.png

a picture of my refinished guitar, paintwork is first class!

post-68345-096919600 1416599595_thumb.jpg

Mine came and was an absolute mess. played real bad, sounded awful and the paint job was shocking. cant even tell you how disappointing it was. sent it back and bought a refin 62 sheraton off of ebay and its mint! its stunning and the finish is bang on, just wish epiphone would release a sheraton with the larger headstock like the elitists or the JLH model. a limited edition original spec sheraton would be the stuff of dreams!

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b586/liamporter1/Screenshot_2014-11-21-19-16-38_zpsd22159eb.png

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b586/liamporter1/ad356969-6b54-4eac-8ee0-64c06b84428e_zps1913d001.png

a picture of my refinished guitar, paintwork is first class!

sorry about your epi, I got mine from Musician's friend and both were fantastic. You should have tried another one.

That is a sweet looking guitar...is the back plain or flag motif painted?I too love my UJ from MF...If you think there are some horror stories about the fit and finish of the UJs here, you should check out the official Epiphone site listed in a prior post on this thread....

Enough to make you cringe.

You know honestly I bought this guitar not as a Oasis fan but as a Sheraton fan. I love the neck and the headstock shape and it has the best factory set up of any guitar I've ever bought. So I am completely happy with it honestly wish Epiphone would have did other finish options but overall I'm very satisfied I bought it.

Agreed!!! I love this guitar!

sorry about your epi, I got mine from Musician's friend and both were fantastic. You should have tried another one.

Honestly im happy i sent it back an bought a pro refinished 62 reissue, the paintwork is bang on, much better than the special edition and it plays like a dream

That is a sweet looking guitar...is the back plain or flag motif painted?I too love my UJ from MF...If you think there are some horror stories about the fit and finish of the UJs here, you should check out the official Epiphone site listed in a prior post on this thread....

Enough to make you cringe.

the back and sides have the flag all around just as noels did

how much did it cost?

paid 875 for the 62 reissue, a bit more than the epiphone special editions but i gotta say worth every penny. as much as id have wanted to be, id have never been totally happy with the design and colours of the epi special edition, plus the union jack is only on the top. im glad i paid a bit extra and ended up with what i really wanted. its so frustrating though as epiphone could have really got this right with a better, more accurate representation of noels and better colours and build quality.

post-68345-041521500 1416627717_thumb.jpg

1416617388[/url]' post='1593404']

how much did it cost?

About 1,236 USD for the ones he is listing now....plus shipping.It's looks great...What I spent for the UJ is what I had budgeted...with the money I saved with the 15% off I got a vox wah and a middling Union Jack strap.I threw a bone to sweetwater since Ididn't want to wait for them to get the UJ in.Now MF says they won't be shipping their new ones til 12-15.I hope they will be as good or better than their last batch.

JEFF....I mentioned the same thing about the length of the thread and that was about 4 pages back!

Chillybilly, That is me on TGP.Cheers, Luke

Well hello again ;)

I've had about a week with this guitar....although cognitive dissonance is an unpleasant thing I'm happy to report that any I initially had is decreasing.

It's my first semi hollow guitar so although I was familiar with and expecting a different, more rounded tone I still had to adjust my expectations AND my rig. Just as it isn't possible for me to switch between a Strat and an SG without changing some amp EQ and/or pedals (boost, comp), this guitar also requires some adjustment of settings. But despite any legwork I regard that as a net positive...it means the rig is allowing each guitar's character to show.

Fair play to those who deemed the mini humbuckers 'hot' but for me they are miles cooler than the Burstbuckers in my VOS SG. That is no doubt intentional and in a way confirms my existing suspicions about the BurstBuckers given their wildly stronger output compared to an EJ Strat, dual/single coils notwithstanding. The mini humbuckers are on a par volume wise with the Strat but obviously completely different otherwise.

I have grown addicted to the middle switch position on just about any guitar...it can take more tweaking since all the controls are engaged but worth it in the end especially for articulate rhythm work. The sweet spot on each UJ control seems to be 7.5 with an EP Booster and occasionally a comp engaged. Easy to kick the bridge volume up to 10 for lead breaks and/ or switch to the bridge pickup alone for more snarl...fortunately it never produces that obnoxious amplified telephone sound.

Although I always planned on doing a string change and intonation straight away, thanks to the person up thread who suggested it. I can understand OEMs saving some cost on all those strings they go through and obviously shipping, storage and handling can affect any guitar/strings. Despite promises of a 55 point inspection the bridge saddles needed adjustment on a couple of strings and after that it tunes up well and stays in tune although there is no denying that semi hollow guitars respond much more to temperature changes - even the body heat of the player so tuning is required a bit more often.

The Grovers make Klusons look medieval but that's hardly a news flash.

The G string nut slot sticks about 10% of the time even with Nut Sauce so it will need work but in truth I always planned to install a Tusq unit.

Hey Chilly Billy,Musicians Friend (you got the UJ from them right?) doesn't promise a 55 point inspection...I believe that is Sweetwater who STILL haven't received their allotment of UJs.

Still Tweaking mine...hard to find time to do a thorough job with fam from Hawaii visiting for the Holidays etc.

Mid-January is when I do all my gear related chores....Peace,

Luke

Archived