Gibson Brands Forums

2007 Explorer Pro - finish crack

cubix

Hello everyone! I've just purchased a Gibson Explorer PRO as I've been hunting for one for quite some time. The guitar is in great shape, a few dings, no rust - great shape for 2007. Only thing that bugs me is a finish crack on the neck joint, it's a straight line (no spider web) right where the neck is connected to the body and only on top side of the neck (looking from playing position). Does not go on the back or bottom side. Should this be a concern? Or is this thing normal for a Nitro finish in a place where there could be some movement ? Any advice would be helpful, the guitar plays great and tunes stable.

Thank You! Mine however is completely different, not jagged and not in this spot just along the side. I'll try to post pics, but my guess is that's a weak spot for the laquer as on my "Worn brown" studio les paul You can feel the joint line with Your thumbnail (not perfectly smooth). If anyone else would like to contribute please do, thanks!

Neck is solid, does not move as that's the 1st thing I tried. I'm not that concerned about it as the guitar is in a really nice shape for 7 years old. Seems like it was taken care of. The owner said he's had 3 more Gibsons and 2 out of the 3 had the same crack line. Maybe something to do with the hand putting pressure on the neck downwards or temperature changes.

Sorry for post under post, just a question - were there any Explorer Pro fakes out there? Just upon inspecting the guitar when changing strings I noticed the bridge has no markings underneath and it poorly cut. Also the pickups are Seymour Duncans. I've inspected the routings and every cavity seems proper Gibson, even has Gibson on the pots. I doubt a fake would have a real 5mm maple cap on it and a Nitrocellulose laquer, probably the previous owners replaced the parts. However is there a way to make sure it's legit from the serial number etc ?

Sorry for post under post, just a question - were there any Explorer Pro fakes out there? Just upon inspecting the guitar when changing strings I noticed the bridge has no markings underneath and it poorly cut. Also the pickups are Seymour Duncans. I've inspected the routings and every cavity seems proper Gibson, even has Gibson on the pots. I doubt a fake would have a real 5mm maple cap on it and a Nitrocellulose laquer, probably the previous owners replaced the parts. However is there a way to make sure it's legit from the serial number etc ?

I believe you can send the serial number to Gibson's customer service with a description or pic and they can tell you. Others here have done that.

Archived