Gibson Brands Forums

36th Birthday Of My S-G Standard Today

capmaster

There's a single older one among my guitars, an early 1970's L6-S, but she can't be dated exactly. So I virtually celebrate the birthday of my second-oldest as the first proven one. [thumbup]

My beloved Gibson S-G Standard with Tobacco Sunburst finish was born on September 15th, 1978, in Nashville, Tennessee. I think I drink a cup of coffee and eat some poppy-seed cake on her welfare. ;)

By the way, the drummer of my most recent band has his birthday today, too, and I'm sure I'll never forget this one. [biggrin]

Cheers! :)

Nice - with the burst on the backside and neck - is that the factory finish?

And the original harmonica.

I like. . [thumbup]

All original except for the 500 kOhms tone pots replacing the poor 100 kOhms ones, TP-6 finetuners, and blank truss rod cover. B)

This guitar has seen hundreds of string sets in her history, from .009" - .046" to .012" - .054". When my favorite brand released their .011" - .050" three years ago, I switched to these from the .012" set with wound G3rd I used for many years. I prefer them for more effective bendings of their plain G3rd.

Sorry, no hi-res, some old pics of her:

78SG_top_zps5bbfbb12.jpg

78SG_back_zpsb15279cb.jpg

Besides TP-6 finetuners, I prefer blank truss rod covers, so here's a pic of the stock one saying "S-G" with hyphen:

TRC_S-G_zpsab4a85d5.jpg

Hello Capmaster!

I am not fan of SGs, but I must say it is a beauty.

Regardless, what most of You will say, only the Norlin-era produced such gems: volute, teardrop burst, tobacco color. Mmmmm...

Cheers... Bence

Oh wow - with the Chainsaw case too! Happy Birthday to your gorgeous SG brother! You should bake a cake! (And send us each a piece) [thumbup]

[biggrin] Thank you very much, Reverend. From the start I have been wondering how long the thin plastics holding the case latches might withstand thousands of times opening and closing them, but they are still fine after all these years.

Very nice! Never let that one get away. Would be nothing less than criminal!

Definitely, after all we've been through together. Frost on the top after hours of deep freeze in cars during winter, and heated up in cars during summer that I couldn't even touch her. Once our drummer stumbled backwards over me onstage, and I hardly managed to keep the headstock hitting the floor while rolling him off. Fortunately, I had used a cable with an angled plug, or the top would probably have cracked then. It even was still in tune. :)

Happy 36th Birthday SG. She's gorgeous. [wink]

Thank you, mate!

Hello Capmaster!

I am not fan of SGs, but I must say it is a beauty.

Regardless, what most of You will say, only the Norlin-era produced such gems: volute, teardrop burst, tobacco color. Mmmmm...

Cheers... Bence

Would love Gibson reproducing them. Actually there's no SG with the deep neck set and the neck pickup in the 2nd octave position. They should recreate the tarback pickups, harmonica bridge, neck volute, flat and wide frets, small block inlays starting at the 1st fret, 14° angled SP-2 headstock, and finishes of the era. However, I would prefer 500 kOhms tone pots, not the tone-choking 100 kOhms ones coming stock then.

that's a beautiful guitar!!

Thank you very much, Bender.

Archived