Gibson Brands Forums

G string # from the nut to the 12th fret

goldtop1

Guest Farnsbarns

I've never heard of a 're-crowning'. I've heard of a fret dressing which is a very complex process. If you can get a tech to do it for $200 you'd be lucky. They would usually adjust the intonation then. I barely ever even play after the 12th fret so I would only need to have em replaced to the 12th fret. The wear for me is usually around the 'A','B','C' on the G string. Certain players wear the frets in certain places.

Can I ask a genuine question....

Why have you started a thread asking what to do when you obviously know better than anyone?

If you can't find someone who can dress and crown your frets for less than $200 I can only assume you're not trying. I recently paid for a fret dress by a highly regarded luthier and paid about 50 quid (under $80) and these things are always more expensive over here. Even at $200+ it won't fix your intonation. That's done by turning the screw on the saddle. You can prove this by checking the intonation on the harmonics.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never heard of a 're-crowning'. I've heard of a fret dressing which is a very complex process. If you can get a tech to do it for $200 you'd be lucky...

The process of rounding-off / profiling the frets is called 'Crowning'.

Eventually, when the frets have pitted and require a fret-dress this is accompanied by a re-crowning to ensure the top surfaces of the frets aren't left with a sharply defined 'shoulder'.

As it happens I had it done to both my 1993 '59 R-I and my 1995 '60 R-I about 18 months ago.

Even with London's ridiculous prices and from a top guy, for a fret-dress and crown they came out at under $90.

Stick around a while, goldtop1. You might learn lots of interesting stuff. Seriously. It's a fun place to hang as well.

[thumbup]

P.

Can I ask a genuine question....

Why have you started a thread asking what to do when you obviously know better than anyone?

If you can't find someone who can dress and crown your frets for less than $200 I can only assume you're not trying. I recently paid for a fret dress by a highly regarded luthier and paid about 50 quid

FAKE MONEY

I think there is something lost in the translation here in this here thread.

Maybe a geaographical thing. It's the English.

I think "crowning" is more of an an English thing. (The Queen). "Re-crowning" of corse, American. "Un-crowning" would be Stottish.

Unless, of corse, we are talking dental.

Guest Farnsbarns

I think "crowning" is more of an an English thing. (The Queen). "Re-crowning" of corse, American. "Un-crowning" would be Stottish.

Unless, of corse, we are talking dental.

Still very much a Scottish past time.

The steel wool thing is a fallacy. Have you ever tried it? It would take hours to get anywhere. Bad advise. No one should use the 'steel wool' method. Ask Gibson. It's not practical. The frets should have the same crown height. It's time for a fret job.

sorry you're wrong. it's how to polish a fret.. and yes I've done it. many times. what should I ask Gibson?

good luck with the fret job.

Guest Farnsbarns

Well I just wanted to say that.......uh...um uh..uh justa minute man, I forgot what I was going to say.

It's OK, you thought all of that, you didn't say it out loud. No one knows.

Who's got the ash tray and who rolled this?

Wonderful, thanks very much for asking, SB78.

Only downside was no guitar for three weeks.

In fact on the second last day I bought an Epi Hummingbird to leave in our 'habitual holiday home' over in France so I don't have to be guit-less again!

P.

Archived