Gibson Brands Forums

traded my J45 for Hummingbird...

kebob

as the subject line suggests: i let go of my 60s reissue J45 last week. Traded her for a barely used hummingbird (honeyburst). Love the balance of the hummingbird. I capo frequently and the J45 seemed to lose a lot of tone when doing so. Still ithe honey moon stage, but really digging this Hummingbird dread.

Congratulations! I also have a Hummingbird honey burst (2013) I have owned over 27 high ender guitars.. in my life. and wouldn't you know I stupidly saved the best for last! It is the most wonderful playing and sounding guitar I have ever owned. Much better than my mahogany Woody Guthrie J-45 was. There is nothing my Hummingbird will not do. Nothing!

In my experience 45's are more consistent than Birds.

The J-45's in all their humble and underplayed strength are fantastic guitars, but if you're lucky to find the right Hummingbird, it's nothing short of wonderful.

The first have their (immaculate) reputation for a reason - same with the latter (which echo is much more double-tailed).

The old slope gets its identity by keeping things plain and not wanting to be dandy. Thus comes up like the dark (work)horse and often takes the trophy in front of the others noses.

The square at the other hand dresses up, places itself in the center of the party and sometimes promises more than it can fulfil. In many cases this vanity lives next to a fall.

Birds swing from ordinary over to 'nothing really' back to good and fascinating, then sometimes rise to absolutely outstanding.

Someone here called the Bird a holy guitar this summer - I'll let that stand in midair, but must add that once you find the golden Bird, you become - if not a holy - then a blessed person yourself.

However, , , it's harder than you think to get that far up grabbing such unique a hoverer and if you don't have that kind of stamina, better settle for the horse.

Congratulations, kebob - hope the switch makes you fly. . .

Maybe one day you'll be able to have both!

And still stay married?!

I told my better half, I've reached a point where if one comes in the door, one goes out the door. Problem is, all the guitars I have now are hard to part with. That said, I could see myself doing a trade if a truly great J45 came along.

Congratulations! I also have a Hummingbird honey burst (2013) I have owned over 27 high ender guitars.. in my life. and wouldn't you know I stupidly saved the best for last! It is the most wonderful playing and sounding guitar I have ever owned. Much better than my mahogany Woody Guthrie J-45 was. There is nothing my Hummingbird will not do. Nothing!

I'm feeling the same way about this Bird. Love the honeyburst -- more than the traditional cherry burst. To be honest, for years I didn't much cared for the bling, but it's grown on me. And this one is stellar sounding -- nice and open/airy and balanced. I have to play all my guitars before laying down money. Played this one months ago when it was hanging in the shop new -- but couldn't spend the $3000 on her. Some guy bought it and returned it just four months later to trade for a Taylor 12-string. I then snatched it up for the much more affordable (to me) used price. [thumbup]

The J-45's in all their humble and underplayed strength are fantastic guitars, but if you're lucky to find the right Hummingbird, it's nothing short of wonderful.

The first have their (immaculate) reputation for a reason - same with the latter (which echo is much more double-tailed).

The old slope gets its identity by keeping things plain and not wanting to be dandy. Thus comes up like the dark (work)horse and often takes the trophy in front of the others noses.

The square at the other hand dresses up, places itself in the center of the party and sometimes promises more than it can fulfil. In many cases this vanity lives next to a fall.

Birds swing from ordinary over to 'nothing really' back to good and fascinating then sometimes rise to absolulety outstanding.

Someone here called the Bird a holy guitar this summer - I'll let that stand in midair, but must add that once you find the golden Bird, you become - if not a holy - then a blessed person yourself.

However, , , it's harder than you think to get that far up and grab such unique a hoverer and if you don't have that kind of stamina, better settle for the horse.

Thanks Em7 -- love your way with words.

Birds swing from ordinary over to 'nothing really' back to good and fascinating then sometimes rise to absolulety outstanding.

However, , , it's harder than you think to get that far up and grab such unique a hoverer and if you don't have that kind of stamina, better settle for the horse.

Very well said!!

Kebob, congratulations on the Hummingbird. I think its one of those guitars that you will either love it or hate it. I hope that you love yours as much as I do mine. If so, you will never let it go. Enjoy it. The Hummingbird is the sweetest guitar that I have ever heard.

Both hogs, but very different. I'd find it very difficult to choose if I could only keep one. I think there's some truth in J45s being a bit more consistent. Not talking build or quality, but sound. The J45s seem to be (in-general) more mellow and warm sounding, and not as loud as the Hummingbird. I don't think the typical J45 has as much sustain and projection as "the bird." Yet, the J45 has a warmth and intimate sound that few guitars can get close to. Not in any way saying one is better than the other. At times I lean toward my Hummingbird. It can roar or it can sound very delicate and subdued. Plus, it's a real beauty. Still, the J45 is a "J45." Like "the bird," very easy-to-play. Not as loud as the Hummingbird, but it has it's own sweetness. For me, it would have to be something very special to even make me consider trading/selling one of them.........Glad you've got a Hummingbird. They are truly awesome guitars. Like their namesake, they can be sweet and gentle. Yet, when needed , they can scream like eagles. Enjoy.

Kebab, that's how my H'Bird fell into my hands. I love it when someone with deep pockets buys a new Gibson, is too lazy to change the strings and impatient to wait for it to find its voice. Also how I got my SJ200. Again. Luck on my part - not smarts. Yes, On Any Given Sunday - a Hummingbird can sound "holy" . And also on any other day ending in"y" ! G'Luck!

Kebab, that's how my H'Bird fell into my hands. I love it when someone with deep pockets buys a new Gibson, is too lazy to change the strings and impatient to wait for it to find its voice. Also how I got my SJ200. Again. Luck on my part - not smarts. Yes, On Any Given Sunday - a Hummingbird can sound "holy" . And also on any other day ending in"y" ! G'Luck!

Thank you sir. Most of my guitars I have bought used -- it's a much better value. Let someone else take the initial hit. As long as they're in good structural shape, I prefer used. This Hummingbird though is essentially new -- not a mark on her.

Very well said!!

Kebob, congratulations on the Hummingbird. I think its one of those guitars that you will either love it or hate it. I hope that you love yours as much as I do mine. If so, you will never let it go. Enjoy it. The Hummingbird is the sweetest guitar that I have ever heard.

Thanks! I certainly share your sentiments at this point. Not regretting the trade at all at this point.

Both hogs, but very different. I'd find it very difficult to choose if I could only keep one. I think there's some truth in J45s being a bit more consistent. Not talking build or quality, but sound. The J45s seem to be (in-general) more mellow and warm sounding, and not as loud as the Hummingbird. I don't think the typical J45 has as much sustain and projection as "the bird." Yet, the J45 has a warmth and intimate sound that few guitars can get close to. Not in any way saying one is better than the other. At times I lean toward my Hummingbird. It can roar or it can sound very delicate and subdued. Plus, it's a real beauty. Still, the J45 is a "J45." Like "the bird," very easy-to-play. Not as loud as the Hummingbird, but it has it's own sweetness. For me, it would have to be something very special to even make me consider trading/selling one of them.........Glad you've got a Hummingbird. They are truly awesome guitars. Like their namesake, they can be sweet and gentle. Yet, when needed , they can scream like eagles. Enjoy.

Thanks MissouriPicker, you describe both guitars well. I did contemplate trading for a stellar J45 at my local Guitar Center, but it was new and they weren't budging on price. I've played a few dud J45s but this one was great. I may have ended up with it had I not stumbled onto this Hummingbird. I made the right choice. One day I may seek out another great J45.

as the subject line suggests: I capo frequently and the J45 seemed to lose a lot of tone when doing so.

I've found that MANY guitars that sound great when played open fall short when using a capo, especially on the higher frets. Glad the Hummingbird is working out better for your needs. For me when considering a new guitar, no matter how good it sounds played open, it has to sound good when capoed anywhere up to the 10th fret for the Irish/Celtic music I do in DADGAD, or... forget it. All of my guitars sound great when capoed, particularly the J-35.

DC

John Hiatt called 'birds the best acosutic rhythm guitar for rock in the Fab Flats book. The Stones surely took to them. More definition with a slope, more ring with the 'bird (all that extra air moving), that's how i'd hear the difference.

That's an interesting piece of information and it's exactly what I am using the bird for (rhythm) for acoustic folk/rock. Like I said, the slope J45 struggled with a capo and I eventually fell out of love with it. That said, I know there are better J45s out there than the one I had. Someday perhaps...

I've found that MANY guitars that sound great when played open fall short when using a capo, especially on the higher frets. Glad the Hummingbird is working out better for your needs. For me when considering a new guitar, no matter how good it sounds played open, it has to sound good when capoed anywhere up to the 10th fret for the Irish/Celtic music I do in DADGAD, or... forget it. All of my guitars sound great when capoed, particularly the J-35.

DC

I do like the J-35's that I've played. If my local shop had one of them in, who knows, I may have walked away with one instead! Very good bang for buck on that model -- love the looks of them as well.

Very interesting to hear you say that your J45 lost some tone when capoed. Sometimes I get that notion when I capo my SJ200, usually on the 4th or 5th fret. First 3 frets no problem noticed. It's very slight, but there is a difference. I used to capo all the way up on the 7th fret for a Townes Van Zandt song I like to do and it sounded very tinny to me when amplified thru a Peavey E110. Not so much barefoot. Common sense tells me there is a physics theory to be found in this, but I do not have the mental energy to try and comprehend that at this time...hah. As for the Birds, love them every time I've handled one, but never owned one. Does 'borrowed' count? Nah, didn't think so ;)

Sometimes I get that notion when I capo my SJ200, usually on the 4th or 5th fret. First 3 frets no problem noticed. It's very slight, but there is a difference.
Beats me. But speaking of J200s, they make a mighty fine rock rhythm guitar, all due resect to Br Hiatt and 'Bird fans

I've had the same issues with capos and many other guitars. My Taylor and Martin seem to hold up pretty well when capoed but I've had my fare share of guitars sounding dead with a capo on (usually lesser quality guitars)... and I love me some capo.

LP 13 go for it! I bought my Hummingbird last November. I wish I had made the jump years before that. A Hummingbird inspires you to play, they look great, and they sound great. What are you waiting for? Let's go!

Haha wish it was that easy. I am currently enrolled in Graduate School so funds are tight, but I a trying to move my Martin OMCPA4 to go get myself a Hunningbird, even a used one. With the way they sound (after playing a few different ones at different Guitar Centers), in my opinion, definitely worth going for. The Taylor 414 I have sounds great too (in the same price range) but there's just something about the Hummingbird.... Like no matter how hard I try to look away, I can't lol [flapper]

Archived