Gibson Brands Forums

Loving my J-35

SonofSkywalker

Hi Guys

after having my J -35 a few months now I'm loving it, the top is starting to darken and all the grain is starting to show through its beautiful. It's just sounding better and better too as time rolls on ! And I'm loving the shorter scale it suits me way better than my Taylor 414ce.

As stated by you guys in my earlier post the Taylor has been hanging on the wall since I got my J-35 every time I get it down to play it I think meh [-( and hang it back on the wall, the fretboard is just to wide for my taste I struggle with it now and not in the same league of comfort compared to my J-35.

So much so that I'm thinking of selling my Taylor and getting another Gibson I've been seriously thinking about getting LG-2 American Eagle for something a bit different or maybe the LG-2 red spruce that Thomann.de have listed as coming in stock late October. I really like the idea of having a smaller bodied guitar for when I play and sing folk music, etc.

Good thoughts on the American Eagle. I'm considering another Gibson around December. Got plenty of dreads and a J150, so the smaller body is what's been on my mind. Don't want a parlor size guitar (had one for a few years and I hardly ever play it, but an LG2 or similar might be just right........Congrats on your J35. We hear lots and lots of great things about that model.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I have been thinking about it some more and I'm not sold on getting an LG-2 American Eagle I'm primarily a strummer with a little bit of flat picking melody etc and I'm not sure a smaller body would suit me.

Would it make any sense to think about getting a J-15 or a J-45 ?

Would they sound any different to my J-35 ?

I was thinking having one J with thicker strings for bashing out chords etc on and one with lighter strings for flat picking and melody ....

I just really what to move on my Taylor 414ce I never play it now and was thinking of trading it in ....

I just bought a J15 and I couldn't be happier. I have Elixir HD on there and might want to try mediums. Not sure if Gibson recommends heavier strings but I would like to see how it takes.

Hey Nick,

The new J series are very light builds and Gibson recommends light gauge strings. The J-15 is shipped with 12-53 and the J-35 with custom light 11-52. Just out of curiosity, I tried mediums on my J-35 but sounded 'contained' with a loss of sustain compared to lights, but since the J-15 ships with standard lights, it's possible that mediums may fair better than on the J-35. Personally, I don't like to go beyond the manufacturer's gauge recommendation since they make those recommendations for a reason based on the build. But hey.... we're all curious!

Glad you like the J-15!

DC

Hey Nick,

The new J series are very light builds and Gibson recommends light gauge strings. The J-15 is shipped with 12-53 and the J-35 with custom light 11-52. Just out of curiosity, I tried mediums on my J-35 but sounded 'contained' with a loss of sustain compared to lights, but since the J-15 ships with standard lights, it's possible that mediums may fair better than on the J-35. Personally, I don't like to go beyond the manufacturer's gauge recommendation since they make those recommendations for a reason based on the build. But hey.... we're all curious!

Glad you like the J-15!

DC

The Gibson website says that J-35's ship with 11-53's. But I believe they switched and are now shipping them with 12-53 Lights (Masterbuilt Premium 80/20's)

The Gibson website says that J-35's ship with 11-53's. But I believe they switched and are now shipping them with 12-53 Lights (Masterbuilt Premium 80/20's)

I just saw that and find it interesting since Gibson doesn't offer any acoustic strings in 11-53. Both the Masterbuilt PB and 80/20 are either 12-53 (Lights) or 11-52 (Ultra Lights). But I do recall hearing that they'd switched from 11-52 to 12-53. I think we just found a typo on the site. :)

DC

I am very satisfied with the Elixir HD 13 thru 53....right now I have no plans to go full medium. I absolutely love this guitar. Simply strumming a G chord is like hearing angels sing.....okay a little corny there but you get the idea!

That's interesting Nick I have put elixir HD's on my J-35 I can cope with the thicker gauge no prob but I'm not sure how great they sound, I had to adjust the neck relief slightly for them too.

I'm thinking about putting Elixir 11's on it when I change the strings next to see how it sounds.

I think the HD's have lost a little bit of the mellowness of the higher strings but I guess I'll see when I change. I'm going to record both and see if there's any noticeable difference.

I'm still undecided about trading in my Taylor for another J-series Gibson the only thing in favour of the Taylor right now is how it sounds plugged in... I still think the expression system sounds better than the L R Baggs Element pickup

SOS... Try Martin Retro lights on your J-35. After trying MANY different strings in the past year, the Retros are hands-down the best strings I've had on mine and it sounds fantastic. :)

BTW... to me, just about anything sounds better than the Baggs Element. I'm looking forward to removing it from my J-35 and replacing with K&K.

DC

SOS... Try Martin Retro lights on your J-35. After trying MANY different strings in the past year, the Retros are hands-down the best strings I've had on mine and it sounds fantastic. :)

BTW... to me, just about anything sounds better than the Baggs Element. I'm looking forward to removing it from my J-35 and replacing with K&K.

DC

I've got a question for you, DC, and any others from this knowledgeable forum. Here it is: If the LR Baggs Element is so bad, why doesn't Gibson offer something better for us, so we don't all end up changing it and adding to our costs? [mellow]

Hi Doug I'm not saying I dislike the Baggs element after a bit of tweeking my amp settings and the guitar's volume control I can get a decent tone.

It's just not as natural sounding as the Taylor expression system but that's no surprise I guess as it has the body sensor etc and the Baggs is just an under saddle...

I've got a question for you, DC, and any others from this knowledgeable forum. Here it is: If the LR Baggs Element is so bad, why doesn't Gibson offer something better for us, so we don't all end up changing it and adding to our costs? [mellow]

Doug,

I'm sure Baggs gives Gibson quite a deal to use the Element as standard in many Gibsons in trade for the advertising...and Baggs is a well-known and trusted name to use in conjunction with the Gibson name. When considering a J-35 I called Gibson, asked if I could get one without the Element and was told emphatically... no. So it may be a situation where Gibson is required to install the Element in trade for a 'special' deal. Hard to say for sure but I'm guessing there's some sort of deal going on. Who knows, it could be an even trade since it would be a write-off for Baggs.

As a side note, keep in mind this is all subjective, but I've read MANY comments from Gibson players who share my dislike for the Element. However, some like the Element. Truthfully, I've yet to find any UST that doesn't have at least some audible electronic/piezo sound, and I just don't like anything sitting between the saddle and bottom of the slot, nor an internal battery or sound hole volume control. Just something I've developed an aversion to over the years. My band uses a great sound system with plenty of individual channel EQ plus a 10-band main EQ for both mains and monitors, and I use a good preamp with EQ, along with DI for each guitar. With everything set flat, the Element is SO tinny and bright, I have to literally turn the treble OFF on both the channel EQ and preamp EQ, along with cutting the mids on the channel EQ in order to get it to sound usable...but still doesn't sound good. So I've yet to use my J-35 on stage. My guitars with K&K sound wonderful and very natural with the system set flat, and all I need to do is slightly cut the mids. Huge difference...and no internal battery or volume wheel. Simple and VERY effective.

DC

Doug,

I'm sure Baggs gives Gibson quite a deal to use the Element as standard in many Gibsons in trade for the advertising...and Baggs is a well-known and trusted name to use in conjunction with the Gibson name. When considering a J-35 I called Gibson, asked if I could get one without the Element and was told emphatically... no. So it may be a situation where Gibson is required to install the Element in trade for a 'special' deal. Hard to say for sure but I'm guessing there's some sort of deal going on. Who knows, it could be an even trade since it would be a write-off for Baggs.

As a side note, keep in mind this is all subjective, but I've read MANY comments from Gibson players who share my dislike for the Element. However, some like the Element. Truthfully, I've yet to find any UST that doesn't have at least some audible electronic/piezo sound, and I just don't like anything sitting between the saddle and bottom of the slot, nor an internal battery or sound hole volume control. Just something I've developed an aversion to over the years. My band uses a great sound system with plenty of individual channel EQ plus a 10-band main EQ for both mains and monitors, and I use a good preamp with EQ, along with DI for each guitar. With everything set flat, the Element is SO tinny and bright, I have to literally turn the treble OFF on both the channel EQ and preamp EQ, along with cutting the mids on the channel EQ in order to get it to sound usable...but still doesn't sound good. So I've yet to use my J-35 on stage. My guitars with K&K sound wonderful and very natural with the system set flat, and all I need to do is slightly cut the mids. Huge difference...and no internal battery or volume wheel. Simple and VERY effective.

DC

Thanks for your explanation. Even though I am a Geezer, I am a novice when it comes to knowledge of this gear.

Doug T.

I called technical support about using mediums on my J15, and they said what came on the guitar "lights" is what they recommend. So....I guess when the Elixir HD's wear out I'll go back to lights.

I would use whatever you like the feel and tone of Nick, personally I'm just going to change to Elixir 11's to see if there is any more mellowness in the tone I have my action quite low so the extra thickness of the HD Lights seems to stop the strings from buzzing. Oh and see if the lighter gauge are a bit easier on my finger tips lol...

Archived