Gibson Brands Forums

How to sound like...... Hendrix / Page / Clapton

Rabs

If I want that live Page sound, like on TSRTS, I use the middle pickup position on my Les Paul and play through a Wah Wah pedal depressed about all the way down on the treble end and use some moderate gain on the amp. I'm not sure if that's how he did it, but it sounds right to my ears.

If I want that live Page sound, like on TSRTS, I use the middle pickup position on my Les Paul and play through a Wah Wah pedal depressed about all the way down on the treble end and use some moderate gain on the amp. I'm not sure if that's how he did it, but it sounds right to my ears.

You'd get in the ballpark with stock equipment but ... period correct pieces like pure nickel strings, alnico mag pickups (although hendrix and page were using the new at the time ceramic mag drivers) and there's the aftermarket Page wiring harness with push/pull pots and out of phase bits or the Clapton 'woman tone' with the .015 cap in the neck pu.

You'd get in the ballpark with stock equipment but ... period correct pieces like pure nickel strings, alnico mag pickups (although hendrix and page were using the new at the time ceramic mag speakers) and there's the aftermarket Page wiring harness with push/pull pots and out of phase bits or the Clapton 'woman tone' with the .015 cap in the neck pu.

The whole Zepp first album was a telecaster and a 1x12 Supro amp, probably about twenty watts, they're recently reissued and there's even a Gibson Firebird on You Shook Me! The second Zepp album was the start of the LP and recorded with the toggle in the mid. position. Those wee details are for purists ... really who's gonna hit every fraction of the Heartbreaker solo, good luck spontaneity.

Very interesting indeed and well presented, thanks for posting.

I've also been able to get some I.O.W.-type Hendrix-ian tones with the distortion after the vibe....but as he points out, having the amp at high volume is a very big part of it.

Archived