Gibson Brands Forums

Seth Lovers into 339 Ultra, any negatives to consider?

atj13

I am considering this mod for my 339 Ultra, the electronics on board give me pause. Does anyone out there know if this could be an issue?

Just had a quick Google search to remind myself what an Ultra-339 was [biggrin] turns out to be a former consideration of mine, too!

Right, to business. From what I've read about the controls and electrics; you've got bridge and neck pickups running into their own volumes, a master tone, and a nanomag volume push control, which switches magnetic / nanomag / both. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Without seeing the electrics behind the panel (can you post some clear photos of under the hood?) I'd imagine that:

1. Pickups run into volumes.

2. Volumes then run into pickup selector.

3. Pickup selector runs into master tone.

4. Master tone runs into 4 pot (nanomag control).

Provided there's no wires crossing; I'd imagine you can hook new pickups into the same positions the current ones are in; straight into the volume pots. But would need to see wiring to confirm. Doesn't sound too complicated!

Someone else weigh-in to confirm this / dispute if I'm wrong.

Be aware that Seth Lovers are unpotted and are prone to feedback, they may be even more so in a semi hollow body like a 339. I love them in my Elitist GT but they can be a handful at times, especially when you first start playing with them. But they are fantastic pups!!!

Just had a quick Google search to remind myself what an Ultra-339 was [biggrin] turns out to be a former consideration of mine, too!

Right, to business. From what I've read about the controls and electrics; you've got bridge and neck pickups running into their own volumes, a master tone, and a nanomag volume push control, which switches magnetic / nanomag / both. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Without seeing the electrics behind the panel (can you post some clear photos of under the hood?) I'd imagine that:

Provided there's no wires crossing; I'd imagine you can hook new pickups into the same positions the current ones are in; straight into the volume pots. But would need to see wiring to confirm. Doesn't sound too complicated!

Thanks for the detailed reply, will try to get some gut shots but I think there is a fair bit of circuitry in there and I am loathe to mess with stuff I dont know s...t about :-) As long as I dont need to move anything under the hood I will see how I get on,

Thanks again, the feedback thing doesn't bother me too much and I think the Ultra is a little less hollow than the Pro model having only one F hole.

I am considering this mod for my 339 Ultra, the electronics on board give me pause. Does anyone out there know if this could be an issue?

Be aware that Seth Lovers are unpotted and are prone to feedback, they may be even more so in a semi hollow body like a 339. I love them in my Elitist GT but they can be a handful at times, especially when you first start playing with them. But they are fantastic pups!!!

One of these might be worth looking into, as they are wax-potted, and will help reduce microphonics [biggrin]

Where are you based in the world? Depending on feasibility (order and shipping) I'd also recommend something like a set of special hollow-body humbuckers. Have a look at the site above; scroll to the Lower Output Tab, and have a look at the Hollow-Body Humbucker, made by a fella in Manchester.

IMG_0646_zpsb70bf865.jpg

IMG_0650_zps59aaea53.jpg

IMG_0646_zpsb70bf865.jpg

IMG_0650_zps59aaea53.jpg

MY WORD that's a lot of wire.

Just for clarity; can you identify which wires are the pickup wires? If you know which ones they are, can you tell if they lead directly to the lug of a potentiometer (pot / control) or to one of the plugs attached to the green board?

Woah! Back off and screw that plate back on...

I swapped the pups on mine by removing the pups and cutting the leads at the pup end, then soldering and taping connections to the new pups. Chop them off about 1.5" from the pup to leave enough lead to play with.

That way you don't have to mess with all that spaghetti, some of which is fragile.

Archived