Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Have a Neumann TLM102 Mic?

BluesKing777

I know this is the Gibson forum, but there are a few here with the expertise...

After buying the Neumann KM184 last week, I have seen/heard the results and of course I am now a devotee!

The shop where I bought it has the silver models on special because, they didn't say but, everyone wants the sexy flat black models that are not on special!

I dont care what they look like if they sound good, so....

So they have the Neumann TLM102 on special which could be the ideal next buy for vocal recording: start saving?

https://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=current_microphones&cid=tlm102_description

BluesKing777.

I've used one a couple of times. It's ok, a bit vanilla but a pretty solid design. It gets a lit of flak on forums such as Gearslutz but I think a lot of that comes from the snob factor of people who don't like prestige brands getting involved in the budget market. There are a lot of great Chinese mics out there that are very stiff competition for itbut the 102 would be a good, safe choice for an all round LDC.

If you ever see one secondhand, the TLM192 is a great vocal mic for a lot less than a U87 - basically a fixed cardioid U87 capsule with the TLM series electronics. I bought mine for less than a new TLM102 and it's by far my most used mic.

I've used one a couple of times. It's ok, a bit vanilla but a pretty solid design. It gets a lit of flak on forums such as Gearslutz but I think a lot of that comes from the snob factor of people who don't like prestige brands getting involved in the budget market. There are a lot of great Chinese mics out there that are very stiff competition for itbut the 102 would be a good, safe choice for an all round LDC.

If you ever see one secondhand, the TLM192 is a great vocal mic for a lot less than a U87 - basically a fixed cardioid U87 capsule with the TLM series electronics. I bought mine for less than a new TLM102 and it's by far my most used mic.

Thanks J

I looked it up and can't find that one - is that an old model?

BluesKing777.

Archived