Gibson Brands Forums

NGD. And a question for the experts

dbro69

I am the proud new owner of a Les Paul Studio Pro in Fireburst Candy. Love the guitar!! Amazing looking and sounding axe. My first real LP. Always had Epiphones and recently came into some extra cash and splurged as much as I could. My question for you experts is, does the 2014 Studio Pro have a nitro or poly finish? I like to keep my guitars hanging on the wall next to my tv in the den because not only does it look good there, is easy access to pick up and play and also turns into a conversation topic at times.Isthis safe to keep on a hanger?

Guest Farnsbarns

I am the proud new owner of a Les Paul Studio Pro in Fireburst Candy. Love the guitar!! Amazing looking and sounding axe. My first real LP. Always had Epiphones and recently came into some extra cash and splurged as much as I could. My question for you experts is, does the 2014 Studio Pro have a nitro or poly finish? I like to keep my guitars hanging on the wall next to my tv in the den because not only does it look good there, is easy access to pick up and play and also turns into a conversation topic at times.Isthis safe to keep on a hanger?

100% definitely nitro. Wrap your stand/hanger in cotton. I have a cotton flannel around one of my hangers for that exact reason.

100% definitely nitro. Wrap your stand/hanger in cotton. I have a cotton flannel around one of my hangers for that exact reason.

I've been seeing this topic area pop up on the forums the last few days, and have heard rumours and stories previously.

I've got Hercules wall hangers, and one of their floor stands, too. Should I be covering these to avoid damages to nitro finishes?

I've had a look at the necks of my guitars and seen no issues with neck finish. 3 of them sit permanently on the stands, while the LP TradPro lives in its case for safety (my pride and joy).

Hello!

The local guitar shop has Hercules hangers. I asked about them. They never had any issues with them.

However, if You visit Hercules` homepage, they are not stating it is safe for nitro finishes.

Just in case, I`d cover them. Costs almost nothing to be extra safe.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

The local guitar shop has Hercules hangers. I asked about them. They never had any issues with them.

However, if You visit Hercules` homepage, they are not stating it is safe for nitro finishes.

Just in case, I`d cover them. Costs almost nothing to be extra safe.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks, Bence!

Time to go on eBay and order some flannels! (the'bay is always first point of call...!)

Guest Farnsbarns

I've been seeing this topic area pop up on the forums the last few days, and have heard rumours and stories previously.

I've got Hercules wall hangers, and one of their floor stands, too. Should I be covering these to avoid damages to nitro finishes?

I've had a look at the necks of my guitars and seen no issues with neck finish. 3 of them sit permanently on the stands, while the LP TradPro lives in its case for safety (my pride and joy).

Only for nitro finishes, but yes, even with Hercules stands/hangers. They used to claim nitro safe but they don't now so I guess the got board of paying for refinishes. I use their hangers too, great product but don't assume nitro safe.

Only for nitro finishes, but yes, even with Hercules stands/hangers. They used to claim nitro safe but they don't now so I guess the got board of paying for refinishes. I use their hangers too, great product but don't assume nitro safe.

You'd think that this would be one of the aspects of a design brief; make product safe for the main types of product finish...?

Or is that the common-sense, talking? [tongue]

While Gibson uses "nitro" finishes, the formula has changed over the years, and Gibson has been using more plasticizer in it's nitro. If you see a Gibson from Historic Makeovers that is being stripped of it's original finish, you will see that the finish Gibson uses is not only very thick, but it comes off in sheets.

They can call it nitro if they want too, but it isn't what it used to be back in the 1950's, and not what private luthiers use when re-finishing a guitar.

While Gibson uses "nitro" finishes, the formula has changed over the years, and Gibson has been using more plasticizer in it's nitro. If you see a Gibson from Historic Makeovers that is being stripped of it's original finish, you will see that the finish Gibson uses is not only very thick, but it comes off in sheets.

They can call it nitro if they want too, but it isn't what it used to be back in the 1950's, and not what private luthiers use when re-finishing a guitar.

Okay. But whatever the formulation, the Gibson "nitro" finish still reacts with certain rubber products, plastics, foams, cleaners, polishes, etc. This is from a comment on a nitro stand damage thread posted 9/15 in the Lounge - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/115494-guitar-stand-affecting-nitro-finish/page__view__findpost__p__1564661

Not pretty - take caution as recommended above.

DSC_0414_zps3029c739.jpg

DSC_0415_zps68b3bf93.jpg

After incidents due to spontaneous combustion, cellulose nitate was either banned like in films - they switched to cellulose acetate, called "Safety Film" -, or had to be within closer degrees of substitution. As a consequence, the material became more brittle. Any pure "safe" cellulose nitrate would show weather checking very soon. To avoid or delay this, there's no other way than using plasticizers, typically alkyd resins which are polyesters on principal.

I would be very careful when having a guitar refinished by certain "private" luthiers. You wouldn't want to store your guitar in a fireproof bunker, would you?

Archived