Gibson Brands Forums

Pedalboard Malfunction Help

Stu-bud

I have an SKB PS-45 pedal board, with the usual array of pedals. I was playing along, and my signal started to cut out a bit, then I saw the lights on some of my pedals start to dim, then smoke and the smell of electronics burning. The smoke is coming out of the horizontal metal housing at the top of the board, from the 10 input jacks at the top right of the board, and from the unused electrical plugs on the upper left.

I plugged direct into my amp after this happened, and it works fine. Anyone have any suggestions as to why this happened? The board is 9 months old, bought new from GC. Thanks!

pedalboard_zpsb74c19f7.jpg

Sounds like (smells like) you fried a power supply. Why did this happen, was it overloaded, was there a power cable connector short? I can't tell across the interweb. Hopefully all your pedals are not toast, and a box of 9v batteries will put you back on the road.

I think you actually got the SKB POS-45. [flapper][flapper]

Seriously, i hope its under warranty. Those pedal boards are all a rip off in my opinion. I've heard of several people who have had problems with them. You can build your own and buy a power supply for fractions of what SKB wants for one. Thats what I did, with an old breifcase. Works like a charm!

Sounds like (smells like) you fried a power supply.

Agree. Switch mode power supplies are very sensitive to humidity which makes them critical in floor applications.

An APC Back-UPS of mine was killed by humidity in the rehearsal room of one of my bands. It took a switch mode power supply in a rack preamp with it. Fortunately all the others have survived - at least they still work four more than three years later. We have been lucky it didn't set the room on fire then.

Would try to ask for a warranty repair without mentioning the possibly humidity thing. If they offer a floor board, it should withstand typical floor conditions.

Archived