Gibson Brands Forums

New edge finishing detail on my latest

Rabs

So far I have left the edges straight on my builds but in testing them I realise that the edges start to dig you a bit so I decided to round them off from now.

Im quite excited about this build... And today I tried my new round over router bit for some nice detail in the finishing and to round those edges off... The whole body (and neck) is made of Utile (youtilly) wood... which pretty much has the same properties as Mahogany....

See what you reckon :)

DSC_0417_zps5d9de0c2.jpg

DSC_0418_zps113595cc.jpg

This body now has a neck glued and clamped in so we will see what the results are soon.. BUT im hoping this will be my first perfect build where I avoid all of the mistakes I have made so far (and hoping I don't make any new ones :unsure: ;)).. Even to the point where im gonna put Searcy's pickups in this build (the ones in my first complete build).

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, that looks nice! Kinda like a fat SG or one of those Yamahas Santana used to play. [thumbup] I like it.

Cheers man.. I cant wait to take the clamps off tomorrow and see it as a proper guitar (as the neck joint is drying as we speak) :)

And the neck is also made of the same wood.. looks well nice (if I do say so myself ;))

Looks great. Are you going to stain the wood, or just clear the natural wood.

And yes I think this will be natural... Ive wet the wood to see what it will look like and I don't think it will need any colour.. :)

We will see.

Damn Rabs,, that's some fine work!

Thank you sir :)

No update today though.. I have done my back in <_< ... so always best to take it easy when that happens or you make it worse.. Hopefully back in action tomorrow... we will see... backs can be funny things sometimes.

Excellent - That's going to look really nice. Nice slab of wood!!

Cheers man...

And yes this Utile stuff is nice.... Its the best mahogany substitute ive seen so far (we will see what it sounds like soon enough :)). But it seems that genuine Mahogany is becoming quite rare (well over here anyway).. The last wood run I went on 4 different wood suppliers told me that they don't get it any more.. Its all Sapele, Utile and Meranti...

Cheers man...

And yes this Utile stuff is nice.... Its the best mahogany substitute ive seen so far (we will see what it sounds like soon enough :)). But it seems that genuine Mahogany is becoming quite rare (well over here anyway).. The last wood run I went on 4 different wood suppliers told me that they don't get it any more.. Its all Sapele, Utile and Meranti...

I had a Taylor...something or other for about 6 months one year. It was made of Ovenkill? Ovencall? Ovengall maybe? Some kinda fake wood not mahogany but cheaper but we'll still call it mahogany kind of mahogany. Gigged it twice, traded it for an amp I didn't even need. It musta been a great guitar.

rct

I had a Taylor...something or other for about 6 months one year. It was made of Ovenkill? Ovencall? Ovengall maybe? Some kinda fake wood not mahogany but cheaper but we'll still call it mahogany kind of mahogany. Gigged it twice, traded it for an amp I didn't even need. It musta been a great guitar.

rct

So what you saying?

That its never gonna sound good cos its not mahogany?

Rich probably hadn't had lunch yet. So maybe he was irritable or something.

HA!

Anyways,, those would have been the Taylor 400 series I believe is what you are talking about Rich

the wood is Ovangkol, from West Africa, and it is a REAL TREE (Imagine that!)

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/ovangkol/

back in 2000 when I picked up my first taylor (a 314CE) I tried the 414CE, 314 won out on the price point. (the 400 series are more dough)

rct

Ovangkol. It's a Rosewood relative, with more pronounced mids. About the same price as Honduran Mahogany back/side sets where I buy my wood...a little cheaper than Indian Rosewood. Still a great tonewood.

-Ryan

Guest Farnsbarns

Cheers man...

Don't want to teach my grandma to suck eggs but I'm wondering if you're aware that Gibson have been using sapele for decades. Honduran Mahogany has been thin on the ground for a long time. Lot's of woods are "considered" mahogany, utile included. The word mahogany has almost come to mean a reddish hard, dense wood with straight grain and pronounced pores and seems to have stopped describing a genome.

Edit: best looking body you've made yet (or at least the nicest you've posted). Nice one! [thumbup]

Rich probably hadn't had lunch yet. So maybe he was irritable or something.

HA!

Anyways,, those would have been the Taylor 400 series I believe is what you are talking about Rich

the wood is Ovangkol, from West Africa, and it is a REAL TREE (Imagine that!)

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/ovangkol/

back in 2000 when I picked up my first taylor (a 314CE) I tried the 414CE, 314 won out on the price point. (the 400 series are more dough)

Yes, it was a 410 I believe, and it was expensive even 15 years ago money. Dull, nearly muffled plugged in, even duller unplugged. In all of my life of guitar buying I had never had such a brick from one of the big American makers, and I haven't had such a brick since. I don't know what happened, but it was just bad. Put me off Taylor, Ovankgol, and A/Es in general, I went back to using my Ovation.

rct

Don't want to teach my grandma to suck eggs but I'm wondering if you're aware that Gibson have been using sapele for decades. Honduran Mahogany has been thin on the ground for a long time. Lot's of woods are "considered" mahogany, utile included. The word mahogany has almost come to mean a reddish hard, dense wood with straight grain and pronounced pores and seems to have stopped describing a genome.

Edit: best looking body you've made yet (or at least the nicest you've posted). Nice one! [thumbup]

Cheers man... I am still learning... .. :)

And yes when I did that LP Junior mod I saw that it was very clearly Sapele.... And a short while back I remember a new model (cant remember exactly which one it was now)that stated "Genuine Mahogany" as part of its specs... So im assuming that when it doesn't say "Genuine" that its probably Sapele or some other type... But as I say I have worked with a few of them now.. And I think that this Utile is probably the nicest of the other "mahogany" types... its got such a nice grain to it and to work with its very similar to Mahogany...

I will be looking for more of it me thinks :) (actually I do have a bit more in stock so will certainly be using it again).

I might be mistaken, but I recall some kind of either gentlemans agreement or law or regulation that stopped them from calling anything but mahogany mahogany.

Bubinga was an early replacement for mahogany and I remember them(guitar and amp makers) calling things mahogany that were bubinga. Then it stopped. But I'm not 100% on why.

rct

Archived