Gibson Brands Forums

New edge finishing detail on my latest

Rabs

Hello again....

Today (after several days of back troubles arrgg) I got back to this build.. Pup cavities are done.. and its looking good :)

So heres a bunch of shots (im really really happy with the way this is coming along)

First hole

DSC_0431_zps5dd3e82b.jpg

And second one done :)

DSC_0432_zps75eca837.jpg

Shweeeettttt :D

DSC_0434_zps257284bd.jpg

DSC_0435_zpscd084f1c.jpg

DSC_0436_zps30748a5b.jpg

DSC_0437_zpscd355761.jpg

DSC_0442_zps265b70ee.jpg

And I have checked my angle which looks good

DSC_0438_zpsabe697b7.jpg

And this build is getting the best of what I have.. I got some nice Schaller tuners, im taking Searcy's pups from my first build to stick in here and I have switchcraft jack and toggle switch with CTS pots and orange drop caps :D Should be amazing [thumbup]

DSC_0439_zpsd451f6d5.jpg

Also something new (and due to the body thickness) I sort of carved a dip at the neck so it should feel pretty nice to play too.. You can just about see it in this pic

DSC_0441_zpsd8579093.jpg

So its all looking good.. Tomorrow I guess I will do the rest of the cavities and wiring holes etc.. Then its ready for its oil , and that should make it look stunning.. heres hoping [thumbup]

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When are you going to start selling this beauties???? and how much will the shipping & handling to Ohio, USA be?? [biggrin]

TC

Lol.. that's a really good question.... :)

And well.. when I have made what I consider a perfect guitar is when they start going on sale (I will have a web site at that point)... Im real close... I think ive made most of the mistakes you can (the only real way to learn) so im hoping no new ones come up ;)

Errm, as for shipping to the states.. you know what I haven't even thought that far ahead yet.. Im still not sure what to do about cases for them.... So much to work out... they are a bit shorter than a LP so maybe I can modify them to fit somehow? (maybe just add a wedge of padding at the bottom end :-k)

How is the weight on the guitar? Does it compare to a Les Paul, or closer to say a Strat or Tele?

Looking good!

Cheers man..

Well at the moment its probably about the same as a LP ish in weight... But I still have to add hardware on.. so we will see (I reckon it will be about 9/10 lbs...

But this is all still quite experimental at the moment.. On each build I do things slightly differently.. At some point I reckon I will decided that one way is best and go with that.. But for now anything can happen :D

Looking sharp. I really like that body style.

Cheers man.. that's my Hammer shape... Its the same as that Oak build I did (the cheese board one :)) in shape, but that extra detail and the rounding off of the edges seems to make all the difference [thumbup]

Great job, Rabs!

You are getting better and better! [thumbup]

I like this edge feature. Looks very elegant, but how does it feels when playing? Doesn't cuts into Your forearm?

Cheers... Bence

Well as of yet it has no strings so im not 100% sure ;) but when I just pretend strum I didn't feel anything...

So we will see.. :)

Latest....

Not too much done this week (still recovering a bit from my back issues).... But it almost ready for its finishing.. I just need the bridge which im waiting to arrive then I can drill the final 4 holes and its ready :)

DSC_0449_zps48b7f6dd.jpg

DSC_0446_zps0d4b9226.jpg

And this is my next body... Its also going to be the first of my guitars to get a Tele like hardware set up... so should be interesting :) (and I have an Oak neck with an ebony board ready for it)

DSC_0450_zps50846fd4.jpg

And this is my next body... Its also going to be the first of my guitars to get a Tele like hardware set up... so should be interesting :)

DSC_0450_zps50846fd4.jpg

Be sure to watch that neck angle if you're using a Tele hardware setup...not nearly as high as a TOM or wraparound...

-Ryan

Be sure to watch that neck angle if you're using a Tele hardware setup...not nearly as high as a TOM or wraparound...

-Ryan

Yeah cheers man.. I got that [thumbup]

In fact I think its almost a zero degree angle but you just raise the whole neck a few mm higher or as necessary (I guess depending on the thickness of the fretboard)

I just run a straight edge along the fretboard to the bridge, that gives me my angle.. And I cut the tennon at an angle rather than the pocket.... no rocket science :)

Helloooo...

Back again.. after back issues (which is ok at the moment) and then straight after I caught some kind of cold or flu, man it really knocked me for six for a few days... And the idea of using power tools in that state I thought would be a bad idea...

ANYWAY!!!!

:)

Today I finished the last few holes on that Utile Hammer build and all is well... :) It just needs a bit of final sanding here and there and its ready for oil

DSC_0455_zpsf9c682ff.jpg

And probably more excitingly I have a maple version of this design now with an oak neck glued in... So im hoping that by next week I will have two being finished.. (then we can jam ;))

DSC_0451_zps022153c5.jpg

Loving that detail still...

DSC_0452_zps82350ac3.jpg

More on the morrow [thumbup] (mañana :))

And jam we shall! Gimme a call sometime, I wanna try one these geetars out!

Yeah man cool.. I cant wait for that day to come :)

Mind you I do have that one Beech Arrow guitar that's now fully playable so if you wanna I can always pop over one weekend and you can give it a go through one of your amps :)

You should put a hologram of a selfie of you and Farns and Pippy and Flight and that other Lime on your guitars. That's like, half the population of England.

rct

[lol] [lol] [lol]

very amusing.....

yes... the whole of the UK is still exactly like this [rolleyes]

Hello...

So the oiling started today and even after just one coat.. man this Utile wood rocks... love it :)

Heres a bunch of shots

DSC_0458_zps6ae95951.jpg

slap that oil on :)

DSC_0459_zps49f06e35.jpg

YUM

DSC_0460_zps64a1bcd8.jpg

Ohhhhhh

DSC_0462_zps65e08225.jpg

YUM (can you believe im still using that same bottle of oil, its done 4 guitars already :o)

DSC_0463_zps37d40efb.jpg

DSC_0465_zps79b23c58.jpg

Look at that grain [love]

DSC_0466_zps01c0ba73.jpg

DSC_0472_zps70ffcc50.jpg

I also decided to give the fretboard a REALLY light oil cover.. and oohh that looks good... as for how long that will last im not sure

DSC_0475_zpse8359233.jpg

DSC_0477_zps9ec3614e.jpg

so that is looking super smart so far, and that's just the first coat :)

Archived