Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone : right choice on first guitar?

bigj

I've always wanted to play electric guitar. Now i have plenty of money and a decent amount of free time to finally get the idea rolling. I love the sound of brian may, david gilmour in pink floyd, and Slash are what really come to mind. Lead guitar in most hard rock - some metal really.

So what ive seen on Youtube and other review sites, the Epiphone Les Paul standard is a good choice for this style. Does that sound correct?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-PlusTop-Pro-Electric-Guitar-107602575-i2257298.gc

Also any recommendations on a good amp/ other equipment i may need? I would like to keep the total expense under $1k or 900. For an Amp great clear quality>loudness since im in an apartment (particularly from guitarcenter, they are nearby)

Or any suggestions on another guitar, in the 400-600 price range. Id like to buy something i can build/work into, not get tired of low quality and possibly break after months if you know what i mean :P

Thanks~

My first true love was a semihollow, so I would nudge you toward considering maybe a 339. They are smaller than a Dot or Sheraton, about halfway between an LP and a Dot.

But an LP Standard is also an excellent choice, particularly if your tastes lean toward that sort of sound (versus smooth jazz).

For an amp, how about a Fender Mustang?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mustang3V2

Well, for achieving a Brian May tone, the Brian May Red Special model and a Vox AC30 amp would be the way to go, but in general an Epi LP Pro is a great choice, not just as a first guitar. [thumbup] It will match typical professional requirements, too.

In my opinion, the actual Epiphone guitars surpass all the knock-offs on a budget made through the past at least three decades. Furthermore, Epi LPs are the only licensed LP copies.

Or any suggestions on another guitar, in the 400-600 price range.

I agree with Jeffery about checking out an ES-339 Pro. Or an ES-335 Pro (looks like GC offers 4 'colors'). They're only 400 bucks new, and they're really nice guitars. LPs are fine if you're fixed on 'em. For a grand, you've got quite a few options. Other guys here can suggest amps for you....

In that price range, I'll mostly agree with what's written above.

But... with this caveat...

If you have been playing guitar long enough to want something relatively gig-worthy for next month or so, I'd suggest playing some different shapes of guitar. For example, I'm not at all comfortable with an LP. The SG, OTOH, I do find comfortable. The 335-Dot size seems bigger than a full hollow-body with the same dimensions of the lower bout to me. Etc., Etc. For what it's worth, my "baby" brother, who's quite a bit physically larger than I am, loves the feel and playability of his high-end Epi LP and bought it over the original "Gibson" options he found and could well-afford.

I do think that a Epi with either HBs or even P90s is likely a better choice for about any sort of electric pickin' than more than a few other options. But I think also that "we" often are consumed with appearance and "type" than whether it's the right physical playing geometry and yet capability of being messed with to get the sound we want.

The 339 may be "best" for you. But it's your comfort level for the way you play that brings your best pickin' - not what you think others are doing.

I always say that one must remember that an electric guitar is not a musical instrument. At most it's a third to half a musical instrument and the pups, pots and amp are the other percentage. That's why I emphasize comfort in one's physical body in relation to the guitar neck and body. That's a matter of geometry.

As for amp... some will almost insist on a tube amp. Then besides the expense of anything with enough power for most applications, there's the expense of various stomp boxes.

The Mustang III is a pretty good compromise in that it has power for a small room, and could be miked. The emulations and effects won't suit everyone in every case, but there are a huge number of variables that might be used, and can be varied through software on your computer. It can be run straight to a PA too. Verrrry versatile.

Bottom line is that for a guitar and amp, an Epi in the $4-500 range (with hard case!!!) and a Mustang amp will come in under $1,000 and be a good start for an aspiring rock star. Country star for that matter.

But when looking at budgets: Consider that somebody is going to have to pay for a PA system too. It needs to be able to carry vocals over the guitar/bass/drum noise regardless of style. Most "beginner bands" I've heard, whether teens doing rock or literally "old people" doing country, will have the PA as their weak link. Again, somebody's gotta pay for it.

m

Archived