Gibson Brands Forums

Tony P's New Guitar

BluesKing777

Supposedly, Tony P. (Acoustic Letter) bought this one for his very self! Martin OM28 Marquis....sorry Gibson peoples.

I wonder what it said to him - he does get to try a guitar or two! He must wake in the night in fear.... [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

I don't think they make the model anymore?

BluesKing777.

The OOO/OM 28 Martin is a really good all-around guitar. Right now, the OOO-28 EC is the only full-size Martin I own.

I would be curious to know how/if the slightly longer scale (25.4") of the standard OM/OOO series vs. the shorter (24.9") scale of the EC affects tone/volume.

Interestingly, I don't see Tony's model even listed in the Marquis section of the Martin website now. The EC is still there.

Supposedly, Tony P. (Acoustic Letter) bought this one for his very self! Martin OM28 Marquis....sorry Gibson peoples.

I wonder what it said to him - he does get to try a guitar or two! He must wake in the night in fear.... [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

I don't think they make the model anymore?

BluesKing777.

Ive owned a few Martins, the d16rgt and omcpa4. Both great gits for the price but this is a whole nother level from those. What i wonder is what is the saddle and bridge? He never did mention that in his review, i assume its ebony to match the frets and bone? Would be a shame to have a bone nut and something else in the saddle wouldnt it?

I would be curious to know how/if the slightly longer scale (25.4") of the standard OM/OOO series vs. the shorter (24.9") scale of the EC affects tone/volume.

Nick, there's way more response on the OMs--it doesn not take much to get the top moving. They excell for bare finger play. Stefan Grossman, for one, feels they are too lively to play with picks, so when it's Rev Gary Davis time, he pulls out his Franklin Jumbo.

I just bought an OM 18GE today. Looking forward to receiving it.

Nice, JG2!

Is that leading up to the much raved about om18 Authentic, or because of it? I went to try one after reading all the raves, but sadly I believed a website without ringing them and of course, they had never heard of it when I got there! I am waiting for the maybe om28 Authentic so I don't have to re-justify my om18v, which is a wonderful guitar and hard to imagine how much better they get? Ho hum, probably better not to know.

BluesKing777.

Archived