Gibson Brands Forums

your thoughts on Gibson les paul standard 08 (year 2011)

hoross

i play 28 years guitar and had several Gibson model through the years studios,classic antique,standards but i must admit been recording my 2nd album and the guitar has an amazing sound on the new album.I love that guitar its a les paul standard 08 year 2011 who has this great guitar and what are your thoughts on that?

I'm unsure what you mean by an 08 if it's a 2011 year.

If made in August of 2011 it shouldn't be much different than most any 2011.

Personally I think 2011 was a very good year for Les Pauls. I wanted to buy very badly that year but just didn't have the $$ to spend...

I've still never bought a new Gibson guitar but I've bought 2 real Gibson Les Pauls since. One in 2012 and another in 2013. They were used; a 2000 and a 2004 respectively...

2011 was a very good year though from my recollection...

I'm unsure what you mean by an 08 if it's a 2011 year.

If made in August of 2011 it shouldn't be much different than most any 2011.

Personally I think 2011 was a very good year for Les Pauls. I wanted to buy very badly that year but just didn't have the $$ to spend...

I've still never bought a new Gibson guitar but I've bought 2 real Gibson Les Pauls since. One in 2012 and another in 2013. They were used; a 2000 and a 2004 respectively...

2011 was a very good year though from my recollection...

I have the exact same model and year....

The 2008 Standard came with certain features that were for that model only.... (it was one of the years they tried something different)... Its a chambered model (even though you cant tell by the weight, they feel solid), also with Burstbucker Pro pickups and with locking bridge and tailpiece and locking tuners and a locking input socket... and a 60s asymmetrical neck (oh and I think it may have been the first Standard with the PCB control boards).

And yes they made them for a few years which is why you find them up to 2011 (I was told to fill back orders)....

And to the OP, I think my 08 Standard is an amazing guitar... I love it just as much as my 2002 Classic.... But has a nice mellow sound compared to that guitar so gives me a nice range of sounds... This is mine :) (I changed all the plastic bits to black and gave it a blank truss rod cover)

IMG_0156_zps16aa4ebf.jpg

thanks for your replies guys yes well mine was made in february 2011 and yes its chambered and it has all these changes and special modern thing on the guitar mine is a lightburst ,i used to have a studio,standard,classic antique but sold them all due to money.Now i had a great opportunity 6 months ago to buy that guitar a guy who had a guitarshop sold his demoguitar so that guitar was just a demoguitar in perfect condition and it was and had it for a very good price which means around 1200 US Dollars.So i grabbed it,i used to have the same guitar a year or two but since i got divorced i needed money so i sold it and happy i get that guitar back.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I have also got a 2011 standard. I am wondering about its weight relief. Specs say it has got chambered weight relief but mine has a long neck tenon which doesn’t  go together.  Could they have started modern weight relief in april 2011 although  it officially was announced in 2012? 

• 4 months later...