Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J45 with Torrefied top!

MorrisrownSal

Yeah, I saw that one. That's about as tough a call as you could get. Every time you played it, finish would fall off.

You'd have to get it cheap, and then you would have to make the choice of whether or not to do a complete finish along with the structural re-build. I would guess that the guitar has been subject to extreme heat and dryness for a long period of time. No obvious fire damage, so maybe sitting in a barn in Arizona, or something similar.

Is this a case where "originality" has to take a back seat to "practicality"?

I suspect you would get a dry, woody tone out of it, however..... [biggrin]

Is this a case where "originality" has to take a back seat to "practicality"?

Yeah, I would think so. Problem is with the extent of intervention that guitar will probably require you have no guarantee it will sound like a '46 Gibson when you are done. A genuine crap shoot. I figure the folks who would want this would be somebody with the skills to fix it up themselves or one of those guys who just wants it to say they own a "vintage' Gibson.

I am really curious about this alternate universe though where '46 J-45s fetch $9K. Mind, you the seller was able able to get $3,400 for one but never let that stand in the way of a sales pitch.

Archived