Gibson Brands Forums

EB3? Or something else? How much?

sensei

I'm looking at this Gibson EB3 (not sure?) from around 1966 according to the serial. So…

Is this an EB3?

I was unsure of the bridge - see pic - it looks like it's been repositioned. Or, are those open screw holes for the mute cover that fits over top the bridge?

What do you think a reasonable price to pay is for this?

Thanks!

Two things stand out as wrong on that picture:

1) the color of the plastic around the bridge pickup us supposed to be black, and it doesn't have the chrome cover on it.

2) the bridge is the wrong type for the year. It should be just a 3 point bridge without any adjustments. A slanted rounded area where the strings rest.

We need more than just a bridge shot to truly know anything more. Can't say anything for sure.

John

I couldn't attach more, but I resized them. Look up at the original post to see all the pics.

I thought the bridge wasn't right, but perhaps this isn't an EB3? Also, it just seems like it's on an angle, doesn't it? Look at the strings where they pass through the hole and you can see they're not directly in center of the hole.

Two things stand out as wrong on that picture:

1) the color of the plastic around the bridge pickup us supposed to be black, and it doesn't have the chrome cover on it.

2) the bridge is the wrong type for the year. It should be just a 3 point bridge without any adjustments. A slanted rounded area where the strings rest.

We need more than just a bridge shot to truly know anything more. Can't say anything for sure.

John

I'm no expert, but It looks like a 60's EBO. Someone added the bridge pickup and an aftermarket bridge. The original bridge would have been either a fixed or an adjustable 2-point (depending on the year). If it was an EB3, it would have 2 volume and 2 tone controls, and a 4 position rotary switch.

I have no Idea what it's worth. If that pickup hadn't been added and it had the original bridge, it would be easier to put a value on. Check eBay and see what non-molested EBOs in similar condition are selling for, then knock off at least a couple hundred for the mods. Is this a local bass that you've seen and played? Unless you know that it plays well and sounds good, you might want to pass on this one. msp_confused.gif

Check out Fly Guitars - lots of good Gibson bass info here: http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/

Interesting bridge though; looks like a good design compared to the originals.

Good observations. I think it was an EBO, and after looking at it more, I maxed out at $400. It sold for $1000. The bridge, not original, was actually bending up a little in the back. And that pickup does look like it was added second hand.

It sounded great though. But for $1000, I see them in much better shape going for $1200..

I'm no expert, but It looks like a 60's EBO. Someone added the bridge pickup and an aftermarket bridge. The original bridge would have been either a fixed or an adjustable 2-point (depending on the year). If it was an EB3, it would have 2 volume and 2 tone controls, and a 4 position rotary switch.

I have no Idea what it's worth. If that pickup hadn't been added and it had the original bridge, it would be easier to put a value on. Check eBay and see what non-molested EBOs in similar condition are selling for, then knock off at least a couple hundred for the mods. Is this a local bass that you've seen and played? Unless you know that it plays well and sounds good, you might want to pass on this one. msp_confused.gif

Check out Fly Guitars - lots of good Gibson bass info here: http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/

Interesting bridge though; looks like a good design compared to the originals.

Archived