Gibson Brands Forums

'14 Studio Pro

BobF_

How do the '57 Classic neck and BB Pro bridge pups work together? Not technically, but in practice are they a good matchup?

Black Cherry Pearl - anybody have this? Is it transparent at all, or is it opaque?

Inquiring LP shoppers want to know!!

How do the '57 Classic neck and BB Pro bridge pups work together? Not technically, but in practice are they a good matchup?

Hello!

I think, Donny (D Ray) had that pickup combination in a Les Paul...He might even have a demo for You.

Ask Him.

Cheers... Bence

Black Cherry Pearl - anybody have this? Is it transparent at all, or is it opaque?

Inquiring LP shoppers want to know!!

Black Cherry Pearl is an opaque pearl-effect finish. You won't even see the junction of maple top and mahogany body.

Both these pickups are in my arsenal, not in one guitar though. The BB Pro Bridge basically has the coils of the BB 2, also to be found in one of my axes. The Pros come with a hotter magnet, AlNiCo 5 instead of AlNiCo 2. These pickups are between '57 and '57 plus inductance-wise but with a coil imbalance creating a wider resonance with a distinctive presence edge. Anyway, in the end the tone will depend very much on the individual guitar.

Thanks for the input guys. I sent Donny a PM ...

I received a confirmation from Gibby that my '99 B7 has classics. That would be my preference, but ...

I had a Studio with BB Pros for a few months. I thought the sound was really close to my B7, but without the clarity.

Maybe I'll have to do a pup swap to get what I want, but I guess I should give the stock pups in whatever I get a chance for a while before I do any changes. Me? Rambling?

If I could lighten my B7 by 2-3 pounds, I wouldn't even look for another guitar ... <sigh>

Thanks for the input guys. I sent Donny a PM ...

I received a confirmation from Gibby that my '99 B7 has classics. That would be my preference, but ...

I had a Studio with BB Pros for a few months. I thought the sound was really close to my B7, but without the clarity.

Maybe I'll have to do a pup swap to get what I want, but I guess I should give the stock pups in whatever I get a chance for a while before I do any changes. Me? Rambling?

If I could lighten my B7 by 2-3 pounds, I wouldn't even look for another guitar ... <sigh>

You could always do a magnet swap of the BBpro to an A2 magnet, and turn it into a BB2.. only cost you about 4 dollars.

I recently swapped out the A2 for an A5 in my BB3 and it rips now. it's like a super BB pro. lol

You could always do a magnet swap of the BBpro to an A2 magnet, and turn it into a BB2.. only cost you about 4 dollars.

I recently swapped out the A2 for an A5 in my BB3 and it rips now. it's like a super BB pro. lol

Hey, that's a great idea. I'll have to write that down so I don't have to ask again in 6 mos :)

i like mine, i think the pick ups match real well. ive had both pick ups in separate guitars in the past, but together they sound just fine to me. i have noticed that many of the tops people post online of these guitars have more figuring than mine does.

20140418_150011-1.jpg

That looks to have a fair amount of figure to me. Looks good. Lighting and focus are so different it's hard to tell how much some of the differences really are sometimes.

I'm hearing enough positive that I'm starting to feel less apprehensive about the pups.

When "trying" or comparing pups, don't forget to adjust the height.

A pup that sounds muddy or dark very well might be a whole different sound if you dump that pup to the body away from the strings.

2 guys with differing opinions or descriptions of the same pup might be running them at different heights.

Also, some pups are more sensitive to height than others. This is also true of magnet type.

And also, two different pups may very well each like to be at it's own particular height.

Nope, no grain shows through on mine. It's really a nice finish though. Generally I would rather see the grain, but this is nice. Just different. I've noticed that pics of this finish don't do it justice.

Thanks. I love the wine and black cherry colors, but I think I'll go with grain. Thanks for the followup

• 2 weeks later...

I posted pics in other threads when she got here. Love it in every respect except for the sound ... I might like the '57 Classic in the neck, but BB Pro in the bridge slot is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

As a first step I ordered a JP wiring kit today. Once the PC board and it's components have been replaced I'll reevaluate where to go from there. It just doesn't sound right to me the way it came. Who knows, maybe I'll love it with the new components!!

Oh what the heck, here's a pic again:

grabbed_1411395317.png

Thanks - I'm thrilled with the top on this thing and the candied back/sides is really nice too. Plays great, resonant ... if I can get it to sound decent I'll be in heaven :) Then all it will need is a truss cover engraved with "&%^$-in' A!"

I had a VM Studio with BB Pros for a while. I tried a 490/498 set in that and ended up putting the BB Pros back in and later sold the guitar.

The Pro has decent tone when played with moderate and higher gain, but clean the Classic sounds boomy and the BB sounds brittle. I've had both pups' height adjusted thru their full range. meh.

Maybe the rewire job will make these better. If not, I'll grab a set or one to go with of these and go from there.

I ordered and received a 50s JP kit. I was planning to hook up the existing 'buckers to see if I could live with them, but I've decided against it.

I've settled on a Seymour Duncan '59 and JB set. Yeah, a cliche, but what the heck. Here's my question:

What is the difference tone-wise between covered and open coil humbuckers? I think this guitar would look better with covers, but I don't want to sacrifice tone. I want this to end up being my goto guitar for the way it sounds :)

Archived