Gibson Brands Forums

Has anybody bought or played a SG Futura

buliwyf

As much as I am trying to decide between a LP studio or a LP futura all of a sudden the SG futura in Bullion gold is screwing up my thinking and dam it looks killer good nice.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-SGFA-LIST

I really want a LP and that's what I'm looking for but I dig all the Bells and whistles except that stupid tuner on the headstock back and some may think this is dumb but I dont like like a LP without a pick guard.Anyways this thread I'm having a hard time trying to say what im thinking so lets start over has anyone played or bought one being a Futura SG.

I want one of these sooo bad,,,I love the look + PU setup,,only thing I would do to it is put a Floyd Rose on it,,but thats just me. I have a SG Standard that is awsome,,plays well,,stays in tune,,records really well,,lots of tones on it. Maybe Ill get Futura someday

That SG is hot, but it sounds like you want a Paul. I don't think you'll regret the SG (maybe that MiniFail on the back), but you're still going to want that Paul. Heck, maybe you'll get the Paul and then jones for the gold SG.

On the other hand, LP Studios will be around forever, a gold SG is a special thing.

I get the sensation that I'm not helping.

I bought an SG Futura yesterday, the pick up options and different tones are great, the frets and fret board on the other hand are awful! The frets are jagged all the way down the neck on either edge of the fret board, after the 12th fret they get real sharp, the fret board itself doesn't seem to fit the neck properly in some places!

I love Gibson's and the guitar looks and sounds great, I even like the MinEtune but playability is sub standard at best and I cant believe it passed QC! When I look at the QC check card I can see its hastily filled in an illegible in places, it seems this is the problem, they are trying to meet quotas and rushing products through or maybe they just don't care as there is no accountability?

I played a couple of ESP's the day I took this guitar home and I was very close to getting one of them instead, no jagged frets, fret board fit the neck and the finish was impeccable but the sad fact was when I played the $3500 Gibson LP's they were worse!

I'm just about to have a whinge at the support and see what they say as its just not good enough.........

• 1 month later...

I bought an SG Futura yesterday, the pick up options and different tones are great, the frets and fret board on the other hand are awful! The frets are jagged all the way down the neck on either edge of the fret board, after the 12th fret they get real sharp, the fret board itself doesn't seem to fit the neck properly in some places!

I love Gibson's and the guitar looks and sounds great, I even like the MinEtune but playability is sub standard at best and I cant believe it passed QC! When I look at the QC check card I can see its hastily filled in an illegible in places, it seems this is the problem, they are trying to meet quotas and rushing products through or maybe they just don't care as there is no accountability?

I played a couple of ESP's the day I took this guitar home and I was very close to getting one of them instead, no jagged frets, fret board fit the neck and the finish was impeccable but the sad fact was when I played the $3500 Gibson LP's they were worse!

I'm just about to have a whinge at the support and see what they say as its just not good enough.........

My experience with this model is the same. The fret ends are sharp as hell and the board and neck aren't completely flush all the way down the neck. So I think it's the model (i.e., Gibson "budget" models) and not just your bad luck. Otherwise, it's a pretty killer guitar. The Graphtech nut is a very welcome feature. Gibson should be putting these on all their models. And the pup combo and boost switch makes it really versatile.

Just wait until you do a string change on those god awful min-eTunes! That was enough to get me seriously considering ditching them for standard Klusons. Since I don't really use alternate tunings that much, there's really no need for them. After 20 years of playing, I'm pretty proficient at tuning guitars ;)

Archived