Gibson Brands Forums

Fret board conditioning question

davidbg63

As some of you know from the "Gibson for Christmas" thread I got a new Les Paul Studio. My problem is when I recieved it I noticed the fret board had a "chalky" type dusty look to it. (that is the best way to describe it). Anyway I have slightly condition with lemon oil and also just last week fret board conditioner but it still seams to dry-out. After a few hours playing you notice a little of this dust? on finger tips.

Humidity level is fine "I live in the south" anyway my question is what could this be and is there any need other than cosmetics that I would need to worry about it? May main concern is the fret board itself may "dry out."

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.=D>

I got a Les Paul Studio about 5 months ago and had the same thing .......looked like it had been dusted with Talc.

I used Fretboard Honey

Fretboard Honey at Amazon

It took a couple applications....I put saran wrap between the strings and fret board then saran wrapped the strings then got a thin soft rag soaked in Fret board Honey and slipped it between the wrapped strings and fret board so I could condition the fret board with out sliming up my strings ....it seemed to work and after a couple apps it looks great.

Congrats on the Les Paul...... I don't know why they come from Gibson like that though ???

I heard that you should never use lemon oil on your fretboard because it will dry out the wood. I use a fretboard dressing oil. My old buddy who has played guitar since the 1930's use's clarinet valve oil.

Is that because most products advertised as lemon oil contain other additives like solvents? I use boiled linseed oil for all my furniture. Is this suitable for the fretboard too?

The use of lemon oil is not recommended because the acids in the lemon oil break down the finish and can also aid the corrosion of the frets and lesson the life of the strings. Many products which claim to contain lemon oil also contain petroleum distillates.

I'm not sure about linseed oil.

At last year's Homecoming there was a guitar setup session given by Ronnie Monk, who works out of Music Villa. He recommended using Guitar Honey at every string change on the fretboard. It comes in a pump bottle and you don't have to glob it on, just a light coat and let it set for 60 seconds, or so and wipe it right off. I have been following his advice and I have been pretty pleased with the results. I guess if you changed your strings every week, you might not want to use if that often.

I personally use "Boiled Linseed Oil" purchased from a hardware store. One can should last my lifetime. Just wipe a small amount on the fretboard, let sit a few minutes and wipe off with paper towl or cotton rag. That's it. Just be aware the stuff is very flammable so don't smoke while doing it! ;)

Taylor Guitars recommends this on their website if I am not mistaken. I know I read it in their Wood & Steel mag before too.

The use of lemon oil is not recommended because the acids in the lemon oil break down the finish and can also aid the corrosion of the frets and lesson the life of the strings. Many products which claim to contain lemon oil also contain petroleum distillates.

Ok, so it is the acid that is the problem. I remember a conversation I had with a furniture maker at a craft show that warned me about "lemon oil" because of the solvents it might contain. I have never found a pure lemon oil polish. Every furniture refinisher that I have conversed with has recommended boiled linseed oil for fine finishes.

Over the years I have used many different oils and I've maybe done more harm than good... who knows? About the time we find out that Peruvian Llama sweat is the best thing around, they'll either determine it causes cancer or Walmart will buy the distribution rights. The first guitar I ever recall oiling the board on was a '67 Fender Coronado. I didn't have any "lemon oil" (real or lemon scented mineral oil) so I used vegetable oil. Worked great, but it was pointed out to me that it could turn rancid. I owned the guitar a year after that with no foul odors.

I still use phony lemon oil (lemon baby oil) but grudgingly because the residue is grainy and ick. If there is a real honest to God good product out there I'd buy it, but I suspect it's largely a bunch of lies.... makes me wonder about valve oil and whether it's only mineral oil in an expensive bottle.

William Cumpiano sez not to oil your boards at all. Passed along without comment #-o

Back in '04 I rebuilt a trashed Brazilian classical that had belonged to a missionary who lugged it all over creation. As part of the process I planed the board and refretted it. Fasted refret I've ever done, did the whole thing while Easter dinner was cooking. I don't know what species of wood the board is made of; it's a medium light colored open-grained wood. I didn't oil it at all but in 4 years you can sure see the positions I've played in. And I do play with clean hands, it must just be the oil in my fingers. Looks cool actually.

EDIT: Here's the Cumpiano article: http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Articles/Articles/fbrd%20oil.html

About the time we find out that Peruvian Llama sweat is the best thing around' date=' they'll either determine it causes cancer or Walmart will buy the distribution rights.[/quote']

Can you buy that or is that something you have to go to Peru and harvest yourself? Any problems getting through Customs?

Thanks for all the input. A few days after posting this topic I tried the "Ernie Ball" fretboard cleaning and conditioner wipes a friend has. Since then the "talc" look has gone (so far). I saw them for sale on MF site but I can't remember what the ingrediants are. Anyway they are easy to use and so far have worked. They also make a guitar polish in the wipes but haven't tried those yet.

Alembic recommends pure lemon oil for conditioning their fretboards, which are unfinished ebony.

Most of their instruments are bassess, but I doubt there would be a difference.

They are such a group of fanatics, that I would trust their judgment on lemon oil.

Fingerboard Care

The fingerboard of your bass is unfinished ebony. It will respond to changes in humidity and if not properly maintained, may need to be replaced due to excessive checking and cracking.

You will need to oil your fingerboard at least twice a year. We recommend using pure lemon oil (available at health food stores in the aromatherapy section), but any transparent lemon oil will do nicely. Avoid brands that are cloudy, their high wax content only leaves your fingerboard dirty and all that wax makes your strings go dead more quickly.

To oil you fingerboard you should:

Remove the strings.

Saturate the fingerboard with the oil. Let it absorb for at least thirty minutes or until most of the oil is absorbed.

Wipe the excess oil with rags or an old T-shirt. Make sure you get in right next to the fret edges. The cleaner you get the board at this stage, the longer your next set of strings will last.

Re-string with your old strings and play the bass for a day or two before putting fresh strings on.

With all of the pros vs. cons out there on the use of lemon oil or other similar products, I don't understand why people would use them, since there are already many products specifically made for and recommended for fretboard maintenance. You might save a few pennies by using something other than a product specifically made for fretboard conditioning, but is the risk worth the money saved? I understand that a fretboard conditioner is probably more money, but the amount of product that you actually use is minimal and one bottle will last for a very long time.

It seems like you will find some people who say it's OK to use lemon oil and other products and some who recommend against them. Unless you're a chemist, who really knows if they will hurt your guitar or not? To me, it's not worth the risk of not knowing for sure.

Point taken.

BTW' date=' I don't use lemon oil myself, I use Stew Mac fretboard conditioner, even on my Alembic!.[/quote']

I primarily use either Gibson Fretboard Conditioner or Petros Fingerboard Oil. Both seem to do the trick. I may try to pick up some Guitar Honey that SkipM had talked about to see how that works too.

Archived