Gibson Brands Forums

1989 L5 3 pickup

cody78

I was browsing around online the other day and came across this rare find. A very interesting 3 pickup L5 in wine red which I have never seen before. I think it was a custom order from the info listed by the seller. I wonder what it sounds like and how it is configured pickup wise. Anyone seen one before?

110127_1989_gibson_l-5_zpsa6525683.jpg

Prices for these are ALL over the place and have been for a while.

One thing is, there was a point when L-5's went for an extremely high amount of money, and a few years later, went down in price even below what it cost to make them.

And for a guitar like this that regardless, it IS an expensive guitar, what they may be worth in the future does have an impact when the average guy separates himself of the cash it cost to get into one.

I have no clue what they are worth, but I would say if you can't find one for 4k or 5k, don't count on being able to in the future. But if you do spend 5k or 14k, don't count on being able to sell it for that in the future either.

As for the 3 pups? Just my opinion, (which I don't even trust): I think it's cool enough not to hurt the value, not desirable enough to raise the value, and rare enough not to be able to establish a base.

Personally, I would DEFINITELY go for it if it was an option. At the same time, I would be leary of ordering one, as I would expect all the weight in the middle with 3 pups to have an impact that I PROBLABLY wouldn't like. And if I were buying, the first consideration would be the accoustic tone regardless of how many pups, so if it is good or bad for it to have the 3 pups would be a moot point.

Stein, yes I would certainly go for one too if I had the money!

I'm the guy with the Switchmaster you may have seen around the forum and for me personally, with that guitar, I use the neck pickup the most obviously(!), but also the ALL selection too for jazz as it has a very lovely warm sound. I also play other styles though so the extra pickups do come in useful for sure and that's why I was quite interested when coming across this beautiful looking 3 pickup L5ces.

The prices for new L5's in my area of the world are from around £5,800 for a Wes model to £8,000 for a natural 2 p/up model (from about $9,000 up to $13,000 in the USA). I guess for such a rare model it is a pretty fair price they are asking.

From my experience with my cheaper than an L5/ yet still expensive ES Gibson's, I do think the high prices are worth it for such quality instruments like you say.

Wes Montgomery once said that a L5 only need one pickup. So true. In fact, come to think of it I never seen and L5 player play the middle or first position. Ever!

I sometimes use the bridge or both pickups on an L-5 when playing with my big band on rock or pop tunes we might play at dances or when backing stage shows. We also have a couple of charts that include a Dixieland section where I switch to the bridge pickup to get closer to a banjo sound. On tunes that just need the neck pickup, which is most of them, I turn the bridge volume all the way down and use the toggle as a mute switch to keep from having unintended noises when flipping charts.

Keep in mind that lots of early rock and Motown was played on an L-5 or Byrdland and both pickups were put to use.

Danny W.

Archived