mojoworking

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IB64 Texan...

10535590_10152638587586201_5070108682649058431_o.jpg

10626433_10152638587436201_2005179958839821684_o.jpg

Both photos taken all of 5 minutes ago.

Thanks for posting those pics. How would you rate the IB64? It looks great, but how does it play? I've been thinking about getting one to have permanently kicking around the house so I don't have to worry about my '63 getting damaged.

Thanks, man...I'm an old punk glam rocker. Some of the style has stayed with me.

I don't know if my guitar is the norm or the exception out of Indonesia, but mine sure is a wonderful example of what they can accomplish over there. I can't imagine I'll ever get rid of it.

Thanks, man...I'm an old punk glam rocker. Some of the style has stayed with me.

I don't know if my guitar is the norm or the exception out of Indonesia, but mine sure is a wonderful example of what they can accomplish over there. I can't imagine I'll ever get rid of it.

I have one from Indonesia, too...in fact I have several Epi acoustics made there and every one is beyond what I expected. Epiphone acoustics are VERY good instruments!

I have one from Indonesia, too...in fact I have several Epi acoustics made there and every one is beyond what I expected. Epiphone acoustics are VERY good instruments!

I have three wonderful Epi's from Indonesia. All of them perform way beyond expectations. A 2008 Hummingbird... a 2011-- 220SCE...and a 2013 --- 220S. These three guitars simply amaze me. So I have no doubt that the Texan is a great guitar. It seems almost everything from the Indonesia works is very good product. I only wish the people obsessed with guitars such as Martin and Taylor knew what they were missing...I've owned many high end Martins and Taylors...and I prefer my three cheap Indonesia Epi's over both of them by far.

In the OP I mentioned Wizz Jones as a long-time Epiphone Texan user. Wizz may not be a familiar name to US forum members, but his pedigree is impeccable.

He's one of the great lost figures of the UK folk blues scene of the mid-60s and a contemporary of Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, Davey Graham et al. Eric Clapton hung out with Wizz pre-Yardbirds and Bruce Springsteen recently performed one of his songs live - When I Leave Berlin.

Here's Wizz with his original blonde Texan playing some lovely understated fingerstyle blues

In the OP I mentioned Wizz Jones as a long-time Epiphone Texan user. Wizz may not be a familiar name to US forum members, but his pedigree is impeccable.

He's one of the great lost figures of the UK folk blues scene of the mid-60s and a contemporary of Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, Davey Graham et al. Eric Clapton hung out with Wizz pre-Yardbirds and Bruce Springsteen recently performed one of his songs live - When I Leave Berlin.

Here's Wizz with his original blonde Texan playing some lovely understated fingerstyle blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1tOxMaUcv8

Now that's some very nice work thanks for sharing

Those old Texans are really something. There's a beat up one on ebay, a so-called limited run of 40, signed by Paul, offered for 50 grand. Last week it was 60 - didn't sell. I can't imagine it will this week either. If it's such a limited run prize, why is it so beat up? :-k

Both photos taken all of 5 minutes ago.

I didn't know you looked like Mark Wahlberg. [scared] But man, you guys are giving me GAS over these new Texans. Do you play it electrified much? I expect the nanoflex is quite a step up from a piezo...? And I've got an item or two that I might want to trade in at the local Guitar Center for one of those babies. Anyone with experience getting a reasonable trade-in deal at GC, or can I expect to lose a hundred bucks for the convenience?

I didn't know you looked like Mark Wahlberg. [scared] But man, you guys are giving me GAS over these new Texans. Do you play it electrified much? I expect the nanoflex is quite a step up from a piezo...? And I've got an item or otwo that I might want to trade in at the local Guitar Center for one of those babies. Anyone with experience getting a reasonable trade-in deal at GC, or can I expect to lose a hundred bucks for the convenience?

Haha...Marky Mark...I've had so many people tell me that. I don't see it, but plenty of others do.

I promise you that if you buy a Texan, and it's a good one, you won't regret it.

Here's a page from the 1964 Epiphone catalogue, showing the Texan along with a few small-bodied Epiphones we don't often see: Cortez, Caballero and the rare 12-string Serenader!

Epiphone banjo, anyone? I have a feeling at least two of those banjo names wouldn't be chosen today.

epiphone64p71_zps699675aa.jpg

And three of the four guitars appear to have a black saddle. Don't think I've ever seen one in the real world.

Those saddles were rosewood, and they're actually rather common.

My '66 Epi Cortez has one, which at some point will be switched out with a ceramic saddle taken off my old & gone '65 Gibson B-25 (just for an experiment).

Archived