Gibson Brands Forums

Self Promotion... but not!

modoc_333

Ok, yes, on some level, I have to admit that this is a promotion. I want to start with full disclosure. As most of you know, I work for Bailey Brothers Music at the Hwy 280 location in Birmingham, AL. I try to just be a regular guy on here and not a guy promoting his store. I just don't think that is right or genuine on these forums. I am going to ALMOST break that policy today though.

On Saturday, September 27th, Don Ruffatto will be down from Gibson Montana to do an all day event in the store. Yes, saying this obviously promotes the store, but i really just want to make sure that everyone around the area knows so they have a chance to meet Don. Not everyone can make it to the homecoming each year and Don is a great guy to hang with. It is always a lot of fun, there are drawings, special guitars, etc.... but Don REALLY is the real treat here. Always cool to talk to someone from the factory... but if you have never met Don then you are really missing out! I just wanted to share and I hope this isn't of the line. I hope to see some of you Saturday!

btw, I am getting married the day after that! The soon-to-be wife is also a guitar player, so feel free to chip in for Montana made wedding presents ;)

-Keith

Congrats on the wedding.

But who the flip is Don Ruffatto.

Hey, since you are in the state right next door to my old stomping grounds have you made the pilgrimage to Farish St in Jackson, MS to the site of H.C. Spiers first music shop (the second store where Robert Johnson made his recordings burned in the early 1940s).

LOL Anne .... you think you are kidding. But not ..... I've actually played the wedding gift ..... a Gibson ya know and a beauty. Good luck to Keith and the new bride.

Keith .... show 'em the gift ya'll are giving each other. The story of the proposal if a gem, too.

Wow! You're right - lots of us who cant make the pilgrimage to Bozeman would love to meet one of their gurus. Being a 5 Star Dealer, and disclosing the fact you are also a forum member absolves you from self promotion!

Now, asking for Case Wedding Presents is more questionable. Who do I make the check out to ? Let me guess. MRS. Keith ! Hah ! G'Luck! Years of wedded bliss!

Ok, yes, on some level, I have to admit that this is a promotion. I want to start with full disclosure. As most of you know, I work for Bailey Brothers Music at the Hwy 280 location in Birmingham, AL. I try to just be a regular guy on here and not a guy promoting his store. I just don't think that is right or genuine on these forums. I am going to ALMOST break that policy today though.

On Saturday, September 27th, Don Ruffatto will be down from Gibson Montana to do an all day event in the store. Yes, saying this obviously promotes the store, but i really just want to make sure that everyone around the area knows so they have a chance to meet Don. Not everyone can make it to the homecoming each year and Don is a great guy to hang with. It is always a lot of fun, there are drawings, special guitars, etc.... but Don REALLY is the real treat here. Always cool to talk to someone from the factory... but if you have never met Don then you are really missing out! I just wanted to share and I hope this isn't of the line. I hope to see some of you Saturday!

btw, I am getting married the day after that! The soon-to-be wife is also a guitar player, so feel free to chip in for Montana made wedding presents ;)

-Keith

Congratulations soon to be

...though there MUST be some kind of rule about marrying another guitarist!

BluesKing777.

Sorry so slow to answer! It's been a busy week. The wedding is Sunday so you can imagine how it is!

Here is a picture of the gift. It's a J185 True Vintage. A limited run Gibson did this month. She is almost as sweet as my bride! haha

The story on the guitar:

Obviously, the fiance plays. We went to church with a friend about a year ago and she saw a girl playing a guitar in the band. She mentioned that she loved the guitar and wanted one. I took a look and realized that I had sold that the guitar to the girl in the band playing it. I told my love that she couldn't have one. it was a limited edition J-185 True Vintage made a couple of years ago and they weren't available anymore. We played the guitar after the service and she loved it even more.

Then earlier this year, I got an email form Montana about upcoming limited runs. and guess what guitar was on the list? of course! This just drove her crazy. So when we decided we were getting married, she mentioned that as a wedding gift to each other, we should split the cost of the guitar. How perfect is that? So, here is the guitar. Really awesome!

J185Playing_zps45fed323.jpg

As for the proposal.....

She said that she wanted it to "require planning and be memorable" I knew i had to get this right.

The local minor league baseball team is a really big deal. They are a good team and have a new stadium downtown that has really helped to revitalize the area. It has become a very cool place to be in Birmingham. So, I decided to do it there. I got us tickets to the last game of the season. I arranged with the director of operations to propose during the game. They always do little fan participation contests between innings. I made sure that we would be "randomly" selected for one of these contests. I got to propose to her on top of the home team dugout with it all over the PA and on the big screen on the scoreboard! She never saw it coming and was totally happy. She said "yes" and 4,500 people cheered for us! It was awesome. And of course people congratulated us for the rest of the game and while we were leaving. We have even run into people around town since then that were at the game who tell us how awesome it was. I guess i'm doing alright! HaHa!

Keith, cool story. I can see how that would have been perfect. We have a Minor League Baseball Team here (not anywhere the crowds you see!) and my tickets are fight behind the dugout. (So I have a place to rest my beer.) They always have stuff like you said - between innings - so I"m sure your fiance was Really Impressed by your ingenuity. Of course, not as impressed as by the Gibson!

Awwww.... Great fun!!

Hey, let's hope you got a sweet deal on that J-185TV!!

😎😉😋

And yes- it does sound like you hit a home run, indeed. Off to a fine start, I'd say. Congrats all around, Keith!!

Thank you! and yes, a home run indeed. I feel like i won the World Series!

Archived